Alex Murdaugh Murder Trial

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anyone been following this? The disbarred lawyer from South Carolina who allegedly murdered his son and his wife? (I say "allegedly" but I know he killed them.) I must say, I'm hooked; I haven't followed a trial this closely since Jody Arias killed Travis Alexander in Arizona!!

There is also a Netflix documentary about the Murdaugh family and their shady dealings. I guess this satisfies my inner voyeur because I love watching the mighty fall. I missed a lot of testimony but luckily Youtube has tons of videos, so while SoC was down I watched courtroom drama unfold. :D

Here's the trailer from Netflix...

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, my wife has had it on non-stop. When the trial isn't going, she's watching documentaries, body language experts, or law podcasts discussing it. I get it. It is interesting. I watched quite a lot of it, as well. It's not as interesting as the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial, but it's interesting.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I told my husband earlier that I have heard the expression "blew his brains out" all my life but this is the first time I've heard of a brain actually being blown out of the head. Can you imagine doing that to your own son? (And I got my husband hooked on the trial, too. :D)

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've seen a couple of people with their brains blown out and it's not pretty. Imagining someone doing that to their wife and son is unfathomable.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is horrible ! I had not heard of it before, but can’t imagine a parent killing their child, for any reason. I think that i will stick with watching the kombucha videos, and bypass the murder ones. Is this something that just happened recently, or how do you know he is guilty, @Beth Gallagher ?

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Do you have Netflix, Yvonne? Just watch that documentary; the man is truly disgusting.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have watched the entire testimony on Fox Nation and also the Nancy Grace commentary. I am waiting for the closing arguments. That defense attorney is a sorry scumbag and I am surprised the judge didn't call him on his constant walking between the jury and the prosecution's legal pathologist expert. I loved how that lady stood her ground and didn't flinch when he was waving his pointer stick at her.

I yelled at her to grab the stick from him and break it over his head. I think the DA should have made a plea to the judge that this scumbag was intimidating the witness and trying to keep the jury from hearing her testimony. I still want to kick that arrogant jerk's ass into an alligator swamp.

Here is my summation so far.

The case will be decided by the closing arguments.

The prosecution will show the defense hasn't created any REASONABLE doubt.

Murdaugh lied on the stand and admitted it, therefore the jury will be instructed to disregard all his testimony. They don't have to, but they do have that right if they wish.

No other footprints were found on the scene which dismisses any reasonable doubt. One would have to believe levitated aliens or ghosts appeared and shot the two victims dead and then disappeared.

The absents of any other tire prints.

The time frame of 13 minutes makes it impossible for someone to get on the scene and then just vanish.

They will mention that the guns used were similar if not the same to the ones Murdaugh owned or had previously.

The motive will be the financial ruin that he put his family through and the fact that Maggie had seen a divorce attorney and was planning how to distance herself from this madman. Also, Pauls's case for manslaughter in his boating accident was coming up and that alone would finish off Murdaugh because of what it would expose.

Murdaugh didn't have to testify, but he chose to and his testimony was nothing but trying to prove his innocence. Why would an innocent man, a high-profile lawyer, go to such great lengths to prove his innocence when the burden of proof is all on the prosecution? From the get-go, he set up his defense by telling the first police on the scene about his sons Paul's boat accident. He planted the seed that might confuse the jury.

The defense will try and confuse the jury with the disputed testimony of the legal pathologist that supposed a two-person theory based on photographs only.

They will resort to using Murdaugh's testimony as proof he admitted what a crook and liar he is, but that just shows his newfound honesty about how he wouldn't ever harm either his wife or son.

They will drive home that no blood splatter was found on Murdaugh. They will deny the pathology that explains why.

They will drive home the fact that the murder weapons were never found.

All they have to do is get one juror to have just a glimpse of doubt and they win. No one can question or interrogate the dissenting juror on why they have doubt when such doubt isn't reasonable but would require the supernatural to happen. A juror can have doubt based on Murdaugh's body language and while that isn't reasonable or legal, they don't have to explain why.

I think there is a chance he will get off. He had this entire thing planned for a long time in my opinion. Murdaugh is just acting like he is a Hollywood star actor, screenwriter, and director, and creating what his sick mind thinks is the perfect murders.

He has the entire nation's attention and that is a win-win for this psyco since he was washed up as an attorney and his entire life was crumbling. This is his last case but this time he is the ghost attorney and accused and plays what he thinks is the perfect witness.

8. Susan D'Alessandro

Registered

I too have been glued to this trial. I believe he did it but as others have pointed out, all it takes is one juror. I'm sure there is one who will fall for his acting performance on the witness stand. I don't think he was in his right mind when he did it and what we see is part acting and not tears of mourning or loss but tears of shock now that he saw what he did played over and over. I also have questions about Buster. He sits with no emotion hearing the awful details about his mother and brother. I hear he supposedly was with his girlfriend but I don't know how well proven it was. Nonetheless, there's something very unusual in his lack of emotion.

Part of the sad part for me is that this is a close up view of how our legal system works. Most of us can't even afford one lawyer let alone 5. And it doesn't matter if a person is guilty or not, all it takes is a technicality but yet how often are innocent people found guilty because of not having proper represenatation.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is my idea of why powder residue was found, but no blood splatter on Alex's clothes. He was wearing a full coverage bee keepers outfit including the head covering. He put this cover along with the guns in a blue tarp and that is what he took to his mothers. I would like to see his mother's house and property checked with powerful metal detectors and dogs.

The powder gases leaving residue would penetrate the bee keeper's suit, but the blood wouldn't.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hello Susan and welcome to the forum! Excellent observations on this trial. I have to wonder if Murdaugh "bought" himself a juror.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think he just changed clothes. Apparently the clothes and shoes he had on earlier in the day (snapchat video evidence) have not been found or seen again by his housekeeper.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The good news is, if he does get off he's still facing over 80 other felony charges due to his theft, corruption and graft.

I believe he killed his son to avoid the civil suit in the boating incident. That financial "discovery" would have been devastating, but then it came to light anyway. Maybe Maggie was just collateral damage, or else her seeing a divorce lawyer put the nail in her coffin, too.

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The sad thing about this is he will have won the biggest case of his life and he will spend his time in jail writing his memories. I wish they had sought the death penalty. You may be right that he changed clothes quickly and they are in the tarp with the guns.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

For anyone interested, there are literally hundreds of trial videos on Youtube. I have been watching testimony that I didn't see in real time.

Susan D'Alessandro and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Final arguments starting!!

Faye Fox likes this.