Alcoholism -- Disease Or Addiction?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Babs Hunt, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Since alcoholism hits close to home for me and maybe some of you in one way or another I am wondering what your thoughts may be as to whether alcoholism is a disease or an addiction. Over the years I have researched so many different opinions on this subject.

In my opinion it is an addiction that brings on disease. I don't believe it is a disease in itself because if the alcoholic didn't drink...he or she would probably never have to face some of the diseases that come about because of that drinking. Addictions can be overcome but many of the diseases brought on by alcohol will in the end lead to death. Alcoholism destroys not only the person who is the alcoholic...but also their marriages, families, jobs, etc.

What do you think? Is alcoholism a disease or an addiction?

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know which one it is, something that I never dealt with in my family but my husband's family had a few. My husband didn't drink though. Does it matter what it's called...the end result is the same. I've known only a handful of people that have stayed sober after quitting. My brother in law wasn't one of them and he died because of it eventually.

Babs Hunt and Karen McKenzie like this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It matters to me what it is called. If people call it a disease...then the alcoholic will say he or she can't quit until they find a cure for it, etc. If that same alcoholic has to face up to their addiction then they have to take responsibility for the choice they are making which is ruining not only their life...but many others who love them too.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I see what you mean, Babs...I think now it's called a disease. We live in world where nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions.

There is a cure though, Babs even if called a disease and that is they have to quit drinking, that's the only cure.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have experience of this in my family Babs...absolutely horrendous effects on the family who are the victims of the people who choose to drink to excess , and I have absolutely no qualms in stating that IMO...it's an addiction, that eventually leads to disease. Just in the same way as drug addiction or tobacco addiction..leads to disease, it's not the other way around!!

6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Alcoholism itself is an addiction. But over time, excessive use can cause disease of the brain because it's function is altered. Calling alcoholism a disease is problematic in that it takes away "choice". People who are alcoholics, who have been told it's a "disease", think they have no choice. They do.

Edit: Holly and I posted at the same time and are saying the same thing basically

7. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe it's an addiction. It's a heartbreaking thing is what it is. I agree it becomes a disease after a while.

8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes it is an addiction in my opinion, but for some reason a certain number of people can drink alcohol sensibly and never become addicted, while others cannot. People used to say some of us have an addictive personality, causing us to become easily addicted to almost anything in life tobacco, gambling, alcohol, sex or relationships, but that is seemingly not accepted these days.
    I have noticed that alcoholism does tend to run in families so maybe there is a genetic propensity to the addictive process?

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It might run in families. My husbands father was an alcoholic and out of 4 children, 2 chose not to go that route, because they saw the damage it did. Why his brother and oldest sister chose to drink...who knows. Didn't matter as it was my husband that was the first to die anyway from cancer.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

And yet there are those in the same family who do not become alcoholics...it seems more a choice of taking that first drink or not in my opinion. I've known one alcoholic who put it this way when I asked him how he stopped drinking, he told me he just never opened that first can of beer, or drank that first drink! And basically that is the cure...just don't let that first drop of alcohol in your mouth.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  11. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Have never had to deal with it in my immediate family, but it must be devastating to have to live with someone with the problem. Any addiction is bad, but alcohol has to be about the worse... the damage to the brain.

Holly Saunders and Babs Hunt like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm truly sorry your husband died Chrissy but at least your husband didn't leave so many "deaths" behind with alcoholism. With alcoholics they not only end up killing theirselves most of the time...but also their relationships, marriages, and families. The effects and destruction of their alcoholism may in many cases live on long after they are gone.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I agree it's similar to lung cancer in that respect, if you have a prevalence of it in your family, then never starting to smoke reduces your risk.
    It still doesn't answer the question though why one person can drink alcohol without becoming addicted, while another can't take a single can of beer without succumbing to addiction

Holly Saunders and Babs Hunt like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, @Babs Hunt, I know a few and they have messed up marriages, careers, everything. I know one success story personally, a good friend of my husband. By the time we met him he was sober but told us how much he lost.

He did turn his life around, remarried, etc.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

For some it's a lack of self-control, others would rather face the world or their life drunk instead of sober, some use alcohol to numb the pain of abuse, rape, molestation, etc. and others actually use alcohol to make them more out going, braver, etc. which only ends up backfiring on them after they have had to much to drink. There are probably as many answers to why people become alcoholics as their are questions....but one thing is for sure...once they are addicted...it only leads to disease and destruction in their lives and in the lives of those who love them.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.