Albino Wildlife

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by John Brunner, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I read it's 100% chance of being albino if you have two albino parents.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I remember there being a few albino deer in Raleigh. Or maybe that was albino squirrels. :confused:

Albinism is a congenital condition defined by the absence of pigment. Albino deer have a completely white hide and pink eyes, nose, and hooves. According to the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, albinism is only observed in one in 30,000 deer. Piebald deer—deer that have blotches of white coloration on portions of their hide—are much more common.
    There are approximately one million deer in North Carolina, which means roughly 33 albino deer reside in the Tar Heel State.
    While there are no restrictions on hunting albino deer in North Carolina, many hunters believe that anyone who kills a white deer will experience a long run of bad luck

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's actually darned few.

Tony Page likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought you might find it interesting here's one photo of the only albino gorilla, "Snowflake".

download.jpeg

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Except I don't care for venison, I say harvest as many as you want, even if they are green!
    They eat all my fruit trees in the winter and my decorative trees in the summer. They are like really tall chipmunks!:confused:
    There are none in my county and the picture I saw was about 25 years old.
    There was dead fawn in the road but when I went to drive around it, it was not dead; broken back, I think. I went on trying to figure the most humane way to put it down. If I came back and shot it I would have been arrested. I called the sheriff's dept. admitting to having a fire arm and waiting for them to come and arrest me after they did it in.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Shirley Martin likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Snowflake was fascinating!

Tony Page likes this.