Aging Feet

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I really don't want to think about this but it is getting obvious that our feet are aging that they cannot take the abuse like they used to. In our recent trip to Hongkong, we would take a rest after roaming in the morning and then go out again at about 3 pm until dinner time. In the earlier years, we would leave the hotel in the morning and be back at night after dinner.

And when we are walking, it seems that my feet wanted to rest after a kilometer or so. And at night in the hotel, I couldn't sleep at once in spite of the fatigue because my feet are sore. Well, my husband is not a complainer like me but I know that he was feeling the same with his feet.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's true Corie you're describing everything that's occurring with me ..my feet get extremely sore after walking relatively short distances now, compared to how I used to just a few short years ago..Also I'm on my feet up to 12 hours a day at work, and by the time 6 hours have passed I could sometimes scream with the pain .

I wear good quality shoes..but nothing really helps.

Apparently it happens to us all as we get older, due in part to the thinning of the elasticity in the tendons of our feet..and also the thinning of the fat pads...

This is an interesting 2 page article

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/01/health/la-he-agingfoot1jan01

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't talk about me feet - its too painful :(

4. Holly Saunders

Registered

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Yes - the nerve damage affects me feet badly. They burn with pins and needles and the pressure on the feet is hell
    Even putting me feet up on a cushion is torment - I'm like a caged animal (Cheetah - of course :))

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wonder if water therapy would help you with that nerve damage, @Patsy Faye ?
    My feet would burn and hurt like I had been walking barefoot on hot pavement , especially at night, and they felt like they were swollen and puffed up tight, the skin felt like it could just crack and split open.
    I started taking niacin, and that helped open up the capillaries into my feet; but when I started doing more water exercises to help my bad knees, I noticed that my feet do not hurt any more, or when they do, it is just minimal compared to what they used to feel like.
    There are a lot of good water exercises that you can do if you have access to a swimming pool or fitness center. We have mostly elderly people at the fitnesss center where we go, and some of them come in on crutches and then do water exercises.
    It has helped me a lot, and even my knees are bending better and with less pain.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes I think you're right, water therapy is good for arthritis especially
    I'm very limited in what I can do though due to vertigo - even sewing can start that off, just bending the head :rolleyes:
    What you describe with the feet is very similar - they do feel tight and like walking on hot coals
    I have it in my legs and hands too
    Considering what I go through each day, thanks to this forum - I remain chirpy :)

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thankfully this is one problem I don't have, not yet anyway. Walking all day will make my back hurt but nothing else.

Maybe because I have high arches? My feet haven't changed much either except maybe a half size bigger since my 20's. Actually the half size change was after my pregnancy.

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember ten years ago when I had bad arthritis, high blood pressure, bad acid reflux, sore legs, loosing hair and many other problem. After finding out about nutrition all those and other things have all gone away. Now I am in the process of starting up a Judo Dojo again at the age of 74. Life is good when you have no pain.

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Except for back pain, I'm doing okay health wise. I've always watched what I ate though and tried to keep my weight around 125 lbs., which is just right for my 5'4".

You're in great shape Martin, to be 74 and opening a Dojo.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Martin Alonzo likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

I could do with learning about that nutrition Martin...care to share it? I would love to know the feeling again of no pain..

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.