After 10 Years, Gout Returns

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, May 2, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was recently attacked by a case of Gout, something which I contracted and fought off 10 years ago.

This time it settled in my left hand, (originally in right foot), which forces me to type with my right hand only, which is OK, being right-handed.

When I first got it, I went on Allopurinol, (100 mg), and gave up the "Cowboy" diet of Read Meat, Beans, and Alcohol.

I guess I must have slipped recently and ignored my diet, although I still take the medication, but I've slipped on the Cherries, ignoring them in all forms, such as Raw Cherries, Cherry Extract, Cherry Juice, Cherry Yogurt, and Pastries containing Cherries.

(Cherries have something in their molecular structure that neutralizes Uric Acid, preventing their crystals from forming in the joints and causing pain when the joint flexes.)
    Hal

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hear that's awfully painful.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I put a “like’ on your post not because you are in pain but the fact that the post was highly informative. Just as Yvonne brought red grapes to my attention regarding its attributes in fighting cancer, you brought cherries and their relationship with neutralizing uric acid to my attention and i will certainly do a little studying on the matter.

I really do hope you get much better soon and you are certainly on my prayer list. Be well and thank you again for piquing my interest in cherries.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

We take a cherry supplement every night, couple of hours before bed. They are very worthwhile, I would
    advise you take them again Hal

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yes, Patsy, I shall take the Cherry supplement before retiring, and have asked Judy to bring home some Cherries, if they're in season.

Hal

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yes it is, Ken!

Hal

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

I meant to say "RED meat", not "read meet"...also I should have said "Beef, Beans, and Beer", the Cowboy Diet.

Yowzah...
    Hal

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Bobby: Instead of your "prayer" list, just put me on your "hope" or "wish" list! Six million Jews prayed for their lives, but died anyway. So did the 1500 on the Titanic.
    Hal

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

My dad wasn’t even given a week to live when he had cancer in his brain. lymph nodes, lungs etc. I (and others) prayed for him and by the next day the doctors were asking what happened to the cancer. It was gone.

Don’t know what happened about the prayers during WW2 or what happened on the Titanic. My name isn’t God. I’ve witnessed way too many things happen due to prayer in my life and will not discontinue what I and others have been doing on the behalf of other people.
    *Just a question: If prayer didn’t do any good for those you mentioned, what good would hope or wishes do?

Ya know, even most atheists that I personally know would take my post with a grain of grace but then again, you aren’t in any way like the atheists I know. They know and understand that most prayer is a selfless ordeal and it means that the person who is reaching out to God, is reaching out in their behalf.

Too bad that you cannot receive prayer like any other gift whether you like the gift or not and simply say thank you.

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

OK, Bobby...thank you for including me in your Prayers! (That cancer might have cleared up with Hopes and Wishes, too!)
    Hal

12. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

my grandson gets gout in his foot (28)and he takes a cherry pill everyday plus he drinks pure cherry juice when it starts acting up

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yes...Cherries in any form contain some chemical compound which tends to neutralize Uric Acid. Thanks for the input, Betty!

President Taft (1909-1913) Had a 12-oz steak every day and was so consumed with gout in both feet that he had to be carried around on a door by White House aides. He also weighed 340-350 pounds and once got stuck in the White House bath tub and required several persons to extricate him!

He was the President during the 1912 Titanic disaster.

Hal, age 83

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

The Gout is clearing up in my Left Hand, and has moved to my Right Hand!
    (It took awhile to type this line!)
    Hal

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I know you use cherries but have you tried an anti-inflammatory such as naproxen sodium like Aleve or even bromelain which is found in pineapple?
    According to some of the reports I have read in the past, an anti-inflammatory does pretty good with gout.

Yvonne Smith likes this.