Afraid Of Flying

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would probably be afraid of flying in a helicopter or prop plane, but I have flown on jets and also some of the smaller planes on short hops. Still, if I had to, I would probably fly in both a helicopter or prop plane. My dad flew sometimes for work, so he wasn't afraid to, and I've flown much more than anyone else in my family, since I used to go home at least a few times a year when my finances permitted. My mom has never flown, and never will. She says it's not that she's afraid of flying, she just doesn't like flying and doesn't want to fly. I don't believe my brother has ever flown, either.

2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

how bout a jump from a perfectly good plane?? there's a football field down there some where

3. Jim Veradyne

Jim Veradyne Member
    Registered

No, nope. Not afraid of flying at all. It's more like a vastly more expensive bus these days than the luxury that flight once was and the airports are annoying, but I'm not afraid of flying.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Stale thread still attracting interest. Typical of my best intended ideas..... Since the OP was started, an ad has appeared locally for a REALLY nice Ultralight plane, low hours, good condition, $3500. I think I would love to buy it, try it, fly it! My wife don't know, yet, and she doesn't read forum posts, mine or others', she claims.

It's down in Lake Havasu City, and I would have to fly it home, about 50 miles, as the ultra-light flies (or sinks to the ground). Would it be a real "rush" to unexpectedly croak piloting a first-time flight, at age 74?

It's tempting, the potential excitement of the idea! Perhaps my brains have shrunken smaller than my b@lls.......a dangerous condition which often results in men getting married......Frank

5. Diane Lane

Registered

Back in the 90s, a friend was determined to go skydiving. I thought she was crazy, but if I had more money and didn't have so many aches and pains already, it's something I might consider at this point. I can understand the rush, and I'm sure it would be an exhilarating experience.

That sounds interesting, @Frank Sanoica. I hope if you do, you use a GoPro or other such video camera so you can share the experience. I'm not sure I trust the Ultralights too much, but they do seem as if they'd be fun.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You can have my share of skydiving, too, @Diane Lane ! That is something that I wouldn't do even if they gave me a million dollars to do it.
    However, both Bobby and Robin would jump at the chance, (pun intended) I am sure. I don't even like STEPLADDERS, and they are only two steps off of the ground........

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

I think that's the point, though @Yvonne Smith, it's a letting go of the fear and literally jumping into the unknown, and seeing what will happen. I guess it's a form of tempting fate, sort of like playing chicken with a train, which I definitely would never do. I know myself enough to know if I did that, I'd trip and fall flat on my face on the tracks. I used to see a lot of kids going it when I was growing up, though, at the train tracks down the street, and then later on, on the subway tracks as a train was approaching, then leaping up onto the platforms. I guess they wanted the adrenaline rush.

8. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Active Member
    Registered

I have flown several times with domestic planes and i enjoyed those travels except one when i had tinnitus that made me think thrice before i board a plane again.

9. Jim Veradyne

Jim Veradyne Member
    Registered

No such thing as a stale thread that's still getting interest.

I am not at all afraid to fly but I don't think I'd be up to learning to be the pilot at this time in my life. Maybe when I was younger, but not anymore. Nor would I be interested in jumping out of a plane.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right. There's no problem with adding further discussion to an older thread.

11. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use to love to fly but not any more. The seat are smaller, flights are usually more crowded. One of the last flights I took was out of LAX to Chicago,I ended up totally pinned to my seat by the two sleeping passengers on either side for five hours. I still fly if I have to but prefer the comfort of my car.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

I actually haven't flown in years and to be honest was never a fan of doing so. The main issue I had wasn't a fear of it as much as problems with cabin pressure. I have ear issues and every time I flew it would cause me major issues. I would even have problems after being back on the ground with ear pain. So, I was never thrilled when it came to flying.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I am one of those people that has a fear of flying. I didn't always have it, though. It didn't become a serious until my late thirties. Prior to this, I flew for work and to see relatives. Wish I did not have it, but I do.