Adelaide 's Wild Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Kate Ellery, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in South Australia .Two hours drive from the (Adelaide Hills) The AH has received more than double its expected rainfall this year ,which has resulted in homes being flooded to the extent of having to be "guttered" and rebuilt ..(SA is known as the driest state in Australia ) ..More heavy rain is expected again today and with the ground being so water logged ,it's expected more roads and homes will be severely impacted by the further rain ..
    I live in a cereal growing area which has also received almost the double amount normally received ..however this area is reasonably flat ,with excess water directed to run out to sea ..mind you our fragile cliffs
    and sand dunes on the beach have suffered extensive damage from wild winds combined with the rain
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-15/more-rain-expected-across-south-australia-after-floods/7849298

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was just reading the New York Times supplement last night about the flooding in some parts of the world. In Florida, the coast line is like being eaten by the sea and some houses near the area have been flooded which is considered a phenomenon. And since the flooding had occurred 3 times in 8 years, it may occur more often so the residents there are asking for help from the government. The article hinted that the excess water on earth is caused by the global warming which melted the ice in the poles thus giving the ocean more water. One scientist said that what we are expecting to happen in 100 years is already happening now so we should make a move about it. Unfortunately, the governments of affected countries seem not to notice what is happening to the sea level.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kate Ellery "however this area is reasonably flat ,with excess water directed to run out to sea ..mind you our fragile cliffs"

Still, these events are caused b y "Mother Nature", not "Mankind". This means such devastating occurrence in the past milleniums meant nothing to Mankind, had no effect upon his relentless ravishing of the planet.

I tend to give Mother Nature A+ marks in her efforts to maintain an Earth not totally-swayed to the design of humans.
    Frank

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I watched an excellent documentary about the erosion of beaches all around the world, and especially in the Indonesian countries. I looked for it; but the video is either gone, or has been shortened to a couple of minutes that really do not explain much about what is happening.
    The gist of it is that, as cities expand, and they build more and more roads and skyscrapers, they use more and more sand. The sand is removed from offshore in the ocean, which affects the currents and causes the beach sands to be eroded, thus loosing the beaches and gradually shrinking the whole landmass.
    We don't even think about that all of the buildings, roads, and even things made from glass, all need a whole lot of sand to build these things.
    Now, you would think that with all of the deserts, which are full of sand, they could use that; but apparently they can't use that kind of sand. The desert sand has sharp edges, whereas the ocean sand is worn down to "softer" edges, and works better for building projects.
    Here is the short version of the sand erosion, for what it is worth. Now that you have read my post, the video will make more sense, since most of what they show is no longer explained well, if at all.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I hope you are safe Kate, and stay off any flooded roads. The Houston Texas area had terrible flooding earlier this year, and people were killed, and homes washed away. Central Texas really got walloped with storms, and had some of the damage that you have posted. The weather just seems to get crazier and crazier. I attribute most of it to global warming. We are lucky in this area, even though it has been quite hot and dry..nothing too bizarre is going on.