Adaption / Adoption

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Bobby Cole, May 6, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Two funny little words that mean everything to a lot of people and are many times confused. Adaption would be like a person who does not believe in drinking, but selling it at the convenience store they might work at. They adapt, but do not adopt the premise of drink.
    I personally do not like to live in the city but have had to adapt to the situation and even have had to adopt the lifestyle in order to keep some semblance of personal peace.

We have to learn to educate ourselves regarding our surroundings, and people in order to adapt. A person who has gone through a disaster must know how to adapt in order to survive without being part of the problem which might lead to the adoption of the theory of survival of the fittest.

What have you guys had to learn to do, or learned to adapt to? Did you have to adopt the situation or can you still adapt without making the situation a mainstay of your life?

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think a very good example of the difference , and of people who adapted (but not adopted) , might be those poor girls who were kidnapped and held captive for so many years. They said that they did their best to adapt to their situation, enjoyed watching televiion in the evenings, and the things that most people do around the house.
    However, they never ever adopted this as being their "forever lifestyle" and were always on the lookout for a way to escape from that horrible life.
    I think that when it is something that we have to do out of necessity, then adapting to the circumstances is a good idea; and when it is a lifestyle that we choose to do, then we have adopted it.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Looking at it a little differently, I see these two words in the reverse order. First we adopt a lifestyle, such as retirement, then we adapt to being retired. When a couple or Family adopts a child, the process of adapting follows.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, I don't think I've ever met anyone who happened to make the confusion between the two words. It just seems strange to me that two very similar looking words are so different in meaning! I'm guessing that if you don't pay attention, you might end up making a huge mistake in speaking!

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree! One would have to be quite adept!;)

John Donovan likes this.
  6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Of course, you get the odd word that has two opposite meanings. One is cleave, which can mean to split apart or to join together. Try explaining that to a non-English speaker. Mmm, come to think of it, a lot of English speakers have problems.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The two words that I like to toss around are immature and premature! o_O

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We used to live in the heart of Metro Manila, giving us the advantage of being near in almost any place we need to go. But in 2001 when moved to our present home here in the suburb, we kind of suffered a culture shock. The traffic was unmoving and the road was chaotic with the scramble for front position. My husband had difficulty adapting to the road condition. The heavy traffic always gave him a headache. Truly, we failed to adapt. It took us more than a year before we were able to get peace of mind on that pesky traffic.

9. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not terrible at the English language. I don't butcher it. But I have to watch myself sometimes. That southern will kick in bigger than

10. Jennifer Graves

Registered

When I moved way out here, 30 minutes from the nearest store, restaurant, anything like that. I adapted at first. It took some getting used to. You need to combine as many necessary trips to town as possible. I had to adapt to every aspect of life out here. But I have finally adopted it. It took a while, but I am finally comfortable and the different things I do out here but not in the city. I never had to shoot a coyote for trying to get to my chickens, when I lived in town..

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Jennifer Graves

Registered

These are some of mine. :D
    They run to me whenever I go outside because they want a treat. But I'm not allowed to pet them. Because they're @$$3$. But since they run to me and make me feel loved, they'll never get eaten. They're smarter than they look, because only 4 of them are even laying anymore. And me and my husband love chicken!

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I have a picture of a 16 pound meat chicken. The picture is after I started cutting into it. I'm proud of my big birds. I have an 18 pound rooster out there right now. We live next to a chicken farm. They are under contract with Tyson, and have to thin the here by 40 birds everyday. My husband and I will go grab some before they get smacked in the head. We usually get between 10 and 20 every spring and use them once they mature as chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings. When they get that big they aren't any good unless its boiled down. The meat is too tough once they get past like 8 lbs.

14. Jennifer Graves

Registered

15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Jennifer Graves your photos reminds me of the province. I was born and raised in the city and I only get to see those scenes in your photo when we visit our relatives in Pampanga, that's the province an hour away from Manila. Houses there are not crowded and stray chickens and also ducks are common. And when we arrive, our relatives would be chaotic in welcoming us as if they saw a movie star, hahahaaa.
    What do we have for lunch? They would size up the surrounding to check on the roaming chickens. Yes, that's for lunch - chicken in tamarind soup with vegetables. Great lunch, always.

It's nice to recall that during summer vacations, my parents would bring us to the province for some kind of immersion. And before the opening of classes, some cousins in that province would be staying with us for college studies and some would be looking for jobs in the city and live with us for a while.