Accepting Things That You Don't Like

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I could never play baseball because I just couldn't master how to do that "major league spit"....

But I'm on record here as being "pro-tat".

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This Thread is still going????? Well, for the record, we are, and always will be, against today's tattoo's. Not so much the old one or two tats from years ago, but the multi ones all over the body today. Nasty, just plain nasty, especially for a very nice looking young lady or young man. Really takes away from their "look".

Our opinion and ONLY our opinion, but it's the way we feel.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps we can come to a happy medium with sports and spitting.

I remember the good old days when people used to have community picnics. At those picnics there was always a softball game, sack races and of course the pie eating contest. But one of the most outstanding completions at a well organized picnic was always the watermelon seed spitting contest.
    Whether folks had a tattoo or not, they would line up with a single seed positioned in their mouth and spit for distance.
    Jenny Lee was our local champion. I swear she could spit a watermelon seed around 25 feet on a good day. it was rumored that she might have even had a tattoo but no one talked about that part as much as her ability to spit a watermelon seed and how far she could throw a cow pie at the 4th of July cow pie throwing contest.

Good days, happy days...........

Ken Anderson and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yep, Bobby, THOSE were the days. Then again, depending on where a person lives, like in Beverly Hills, CA, spitting a watermelon seed or throwing a cow pie, would be disgusting. Heck, doubt if any people in Beverly Hills would know what a "cow pie" even was, and once they found out, it would be a one-word description...….."yuk".

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We live in a strange world and it’s something we, in our own ways, have to face. Do I like tattoos? Not really and I do not have any as I have written before. Heck, I have so many knots, bumps and scars on my body, a tattoo would ruin the mountain scenery I already have going.
    But the bottom line is this: Another person’s body is their body. It’s simple. They can pierce it, paint it, tattoo it, run around nude in public in it, sell it, build it, get fat in it or whatever they wish to do with it. It’s theirs, not mine.
    If folks who have tattoos have nothing to say about my lack of tattoos (or whatever) then why can I not do the same for them?
    Believe it or not, there are some folks who think that what I do with my body is insane, but, they leave me alone and I pretty much leave their lack of muscle conditioning alone also.

Every package (our bodies) meets a certain bill and fits into a niche that we wish to fill. No one who has overstated tattoos and / or piercings has ever asked me for a job where they will be seen in public. No one. Just like no gay guy has ever worn make-up whilst on the job and working for me. No one has even tried.
    Everyone with skin markings and piercings knows where their niche is because that is why they do it to begin with.....to fit into whatever that niche is.

Pretty much, I do not care what a person does to himself or herself because it’s not my body they’re doing it to.
    Whatever their reason for damaging their body is, it’s their reason. I do not have to like it, they have to like it.
    I’m not going to say that the package doesn’t tell a story to me because it does but I would rather be as a blind man and listen to what a person says........and know what a person does .........before I form an opinion about what a person is.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In twenty years in EMS, I have heard only a couple of complaints from patients or family members about tattoos on responding EMTs or paramedics, as we have had some with tattoos. When working in an area where people didn't know me, I usually wore a long-sleeved uniform shirt, even in southernmost Texas, but we didn't require that of others. Of course, just because someone doesn't call to complain, that doesn't mean that others weren't concerned about it.

Chrissy Cross and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though I don't care for tattoos, if someone qualified was trying to save my life I don't think I'd care if he was covered from head to toe in them.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not to stir up more controversy over this subject, but I watched a program yesterday for a few minutes that tells why many folks don't like the sight of multiple tattoo's...…….the show is called Gangland. Now the show that can show some fantastically beautiful tats is a show called Inked. But, Gangland shows the very rough side of having tats.

9. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

There is an enormous difference between gang tattoos and body art tattoos.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband's daughter spend a few days with us during Thanksgiving week and she has quite a few tattoos that she has designed for herself. She had a unique explanation for why she does her tattoos. She told me that the pain of getting the tattoos helps her heal from some of the pain she has gone through in her life. At first I thought to myself that this was really weird...but then I thought of the way people numb their pain by cutting on their bodies, or doing drugs, etc. I guess it's different strokes for different folks even when it comes to dealing with the painful happenings in our lives.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just read a story about a white rapper, Michael Slayton aka Paul Wall, who was in a serious car accident with his son with him. They were both passengers. His arms and top of his hands are covered with tattoos. I'm wondering if his son, who is 12, will follow in his dad's footsteps?

I seen gang members in the Gangland show that have tattoos all over their arms/hands also.

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I think an excessive obsession about what other people do with their bodies says more about the "obsesser" than about the other person. Just my humble opinion.

Bobby Cole and Maggie Mae like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not obsessed, just observing! Can't miss it here, it's everywhere in this city. Actually, my wife was so, so grateful that I decided not to get the tattoos I had planned on getting before we met.

What people do and don't do with their bodies can tell a lot about the person that does or doesn't do it. Talk to some young folks about why they don't get any and they say "definitely not me. I want to get a descent job and have a good career". I actually had a young black girl tell me that a couple of weeks ago.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Generally, that's a first impression, and it's nearly the opposite of an obsession. Unless there's some reason why anyone needs to go beyond the first impression, that can become the only impression that someone has. Many people don't want to know anymore about someone once they see the tattoos. As I've said before, I have tattoos, yet I have a negative impression of people with tattoos.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, to tell you the truth, Ken...……..that is odd. Sort of understandable, but still odd, because you have them.