Above Ground Pools

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, thanks for letting my know that, @Frank Sanoica . So Bermuda grass would be no option for me then. I guess I ought to bury my nose in my books because I don't know anything about gardening. :confused:
    Nice pools you all have (had).
    Holly (@Holly Saunders) wouldn't yours be two pools then because I can see no connection between the one in the foreground and the other one with the bridge? Is the part behind the bridge the same size?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes the part behind the bridge is the same size.... and just one pool.. I'll see if I can find a better picture later.. which shows that...

Also the little one at the front , is a splash pool really for kids, but no kids live on the community but handy if there's any visiting grandchildren...

Thomas Stearn and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

This is the other side, and beyond that we have a fountain and gardens....

DSCF3607.jpg

DSCF3608.jpg

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

When I unboxed my Intex 10'x30" Pool yesterday, I noticed that the small Filter Pump included with it had a rating of only 330 GPH. (Gallons Per Hour).

This means the pump would have to run for over 3 hours to completely filter the 1000 gallons of water in my pool. (80% depth capacity)

This may be adequate for a toddler's wading pool but not for one of my size.

SO I SHOWED THEM!

I ordered a 1500 GPH pump, which will completely turn over my 1000 gallons in 40 minutes!

Thank You...
    Retired Engineer Hal

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    By your preferred pumping rate, our pool in Vegas would have had to have a stupendous pump, the pool holding 25,000 gallons! :p
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sounds like another episode of “Tool Time”. :)
    The filter pump on an above ground pool is only a skimmer and chlorinator and only filters the water that has either been kicked to the top or just the top of the water.
    You still have to vacuum the pool to get the stuff off of the bottom no matter what sized pump you use. I guess you could lengthen the output nozzle so the mid and bottom water is spun to the top which would be easy to do, but it might be overkill. Jus’ sayin.

Now, if you Really want to filter some water and stay with the tool time theme, rig a Ford 427 HP engine up with a forced filtering system and BANG, “Hal the Toolman” has struck again!

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

P
    I knew all the above, Bobby...this is my 4th above-ground pool, and I now have 5 filter pumps, including the 1500 GPH I just ordered.

Frank, pumps for 25,000 gallon and larger pools are readily available and have been in use for ages.

Hal

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Now, what the Sam Hill is "Tool Time"?

Howl

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Interesting you know what Tool Time was, @Holly Saunders. Here is the most famous skit of all:
    Link

Von Jones and Bess Barber like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okay, since you already know that the pump that is supplied is sufficient for skimming and chlorinating then it’s just a matter of you liking to spend money on stuff you like rather than stuff you need.

Our pool is the same size as yours and it does pretty well even though we have a ton of trees surrounding the pool which constantly drop leaves into it.
    If I put a bigger pump on the thing, it might keep more leaves from dropping to the bottom but I would also spend a lot more time cleaning the filter.
    I have to vacuum anyway so a few more leaves on the bottom isn’t any more work than I would normally have to do.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

It was shown here for one season on cable many years ago , I'm afraid to say that most of us didn't find it funny... o_O the famous difference between British and American humour. came into play with this show..

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Bobby, my pool is a 10'x30" Anthony Solstice.

It has two suction ports, one at mid-depth and the other near the bottom. The 2 external hoses are joined in a Tee at the pump inlet. The discharge port is just below the top waterline.

You can never have too much pump!

I like overkill in most of my pursuits, Sir!
    Harry

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner Ya want big pumps? The Mark Wilmer pumping plant on the Central Arizona Project (CAP) has six pumps of 66,000 horsepower EACH!

The Project was being completed when we lived in Phoenix, with a gigantic brou-haha being touted over failures in those giant pumps. The design/build function for them was contracted out to a Japanese firm which had, as it turned out, little experience with BIG pumps. Impeller failure, as I recall, but cannot find reference to it.
    Frank

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.