Above Ground Pools

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is an absolutely beautiful swimming pool, and I was imagining just being there and swimming in it when I looked at your picture. This is the place that you sold, right , or do you still have it ?

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    When my first wife & I built our nice custom home in Vegas, as newcomers (relatively), a big in-ground pool was deemed a "must". 20 X 40 feet, 10 feet deep, the cost was $12,000 that being in late 1973. A gas-fired pool heater was included, which required installation of a 300 gallon propane tank. The big square red-parapetted house in upper left was doughnut-shaped, with pool in the middle, owned by the Osmonds. My lady & her younger sister, languishing by the completed pool, before I finished the landscaping around it:

[​IMG]

Diane, her sister, with the cats:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spread two truckloads of top soil, 40 tons, by hand, and planted Tifgreen Bermuda grass around the pool, 5000 square feet of it.
    [​IMG]

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

No we still have it Yvonne... we did put it on the market , but due to the uncertainty of Brexit, we weren't getting the offers we needed, so we took it off again. Now that we're clear we're leaving the EU, we'll put it back on again this autumn

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Why don't you have an inground pool today Frank?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

What a stately home you had.
    I never heard of Bermuda grass but since the climate over here is becoming Sahelian it might be an idea to plant it here as well.
    Mine looks like this and summer is just four weeks old with 104F expected throughout the week.
    rasen.jpg

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Very nice, Frank. We had our pool replastered a couple of years ago, but that's the only significant expense in 23 years. My husband is quite handy and has rebuilt the pump several times; he also replaces the fins inside the large filter thing every couple of years. Here's the replaster in progress...

415776e4-1-1.JPG

With the new plaster and tile, I had a couple of tile turtles put in the bottom of the pool...

04db31bd.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

So far I have seen ONLY ONE ABOVE GROUND POOL...Frank Sanoica's.:confused:

I didn't entitle this thread "In Ground Pools".:mad:

Harry

Nancy Hart and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hal Pollner

Well, pooh, pooh, then! :rolleyes:

Frank

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    A reasonable question, to be sure. My wife would certainly love it, and our frost-free climate recommends it. Las Vegas is somewhat colder than here, in winter. I vowed long ago, that to entertain having another "real" pool, it would necessarily be enclosed in some way. Where winds blow nearly incessantly, here for example, or Vegas, it is a constant struggle to keep a pool clean. Plus, the insects. Plus the requirement for adequate fence protection.
    Frank

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Thomas Stearn
    Natural Bermuda Grass is a very hearty, invasive kind of grass, which is pervasive throughout the Desert Southwest. The seed is very fine, and is carried by the wind extensively. Thus, a piece of Desert ground watered perhaps once a week soon sports a "fur" of Bermuda Grass. This past April, due to intense Spring rains, our entire area had a several-weeks long coating of green!

The Bermuda Grass used in landscaping is hybridized, and spreads by means of Stolons, which are sprigs of root and grass. In fact, I planted Stolons by "broadcasting" them, as it's called. Bermuda will wipe out any other plant form, trying to grow with it. There are many hybrids available; I used Tifgreen.

Beware, however, that Bermuda needs extreme heat, little water, and dies out completely, turning brown, when overnight temperatures drop below 50 degrees. For this reason, the resorts out here, and golf courses, "overseed" their Bermuda in Fall & Winter with Rye Grass. Then, it's green all year 'round. Here is a view of the front of our Vegas house:

[​IMG]

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    Nice! The top view is the deep end? With a little shelf built-in. Ours was "Grecian" shape, same as yours, but with an added in-ward curving "kick" at the 4 corners, 20 X 40 feet, plenty large for me! I never saw a re-plastering in progress before, thank you! Frank

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually, our pool is called a "sport pool" and is shallow at both ends; deepest in the middle. All our kids loved playing volleyball or badminton so this was the solution for us. That shelf on one end is called a "tanning shelf" or something like that. It's more of a seat, plus there is a fountain that attaches to the outlet above it. There are built-in places in the concrete deck for sport nets.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

[​IMG]

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

You could dig a big hole and yours could become an inground pool.....

images (70).jpeg

15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Ordered my Pool yesterday, and it's here today! :D :D :D

Hal