Abcde

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Lulu Moppet, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

No, I'm not bragging I know the alphabet or at least the first five letters. I just picked up on this news item:

Southwest Apologizes To Girl Named Abcde After Gate Agent Made Fun Of Her
    "Traci Redford told ABC affiliate KABC that several weeks ago she and her daughter Abcde — pronounced “ab-city” — were boarding a plane John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, on their way home to El Paso when the gate agent began to conspicuously make fun of her daughter’s name on the boarding pass............................................................ The name Abcde is not common in the United States. If you type the name into the Social Security Administration’s database of popular baby names, it states that “Abcde is not in the top 1000 names for any year of birth beginning with 2000.” But, a site called Vocativ reported in 2014, that according to the Social Security database, at least 328 babies — all girls — have been named Abcde in the U.S."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/southwest-apologizes-girl-named-abcde-190114309.html

I was interested in the first few comments made:
    • "This is not a child issue. This is a parental child abuse problem. Question what psychotropic medications the parent(s) are on? Any psychiatric Nurse Practitioner/Psychiatrist would ask said parents, "what were you thinking?" Mother is an attention seeker."
    • "This woman named her daughter something freakishly unusual, and then acts surprised when it draws attention."
    • "What were the parents thinking when they gave her that name? I feel bad for that little girl."
    Disregarding the idiot who made fun of a child, what do you think about this phenomenon?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

• "This woman named her daughter something freakishly unusual, and then acts surprised when it draws attention."
    • "What were the parents thinking when they gave her that name? I feel bad for that little girl."

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Stupid idiotic mother causing her little daughter to be ridiculed.... and it'll get so much worse when she goes to school, poor little mite...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah. Just because you're free to do something does not mean you should! I had wanted to respond, but didn't, to a post somewhere here about, to paraphrase, how schools today don't teach kids to find something on a map. Had wanted to say BUT Parents are our First and Constant Teachers. Since I didn't say it there, I'll say it here. Easy to blame schools, look closer to home!

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The biggest part of the blame should be on the parents who named her, but the agent should have laughed about it in private or waited until he got home, rather than making fun of her in public.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh yes I agree totally. there's just too much blame these days attached to teachers when in fact the first teacher should be the parent, but they're often not, then the teacher gets the blame!! i wouldn't be a teacher for any money these days!!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree @Ken Anderson but that is not the last time Abcde will be laughed at. She is like "A Boy Named Sue." She will have to get tough or die.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

It's definitely a name that she will have to grow into.

Some kids would own a name like that and others would be crushed by it.

The name would not be my first choice but it may have some meaning to the parents or to the family.

I place the blame on Southwest, and society in general, for not providing some training to employees about acting professionally and keeping their personal comments to themselves.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I know that the thread is pretty much how an airline employee reacted to the name ABCDE. But I also know that the parents who named her that were not thinking of employment resume’s either.
    One of the other things I’m quite suspicious of is the reaction the mother had when her child’s name was laughed at. Was her reaction in defense of her child or was it because the socially incorrect airline employee pointed out, with the laugh, how ditzy the mother was for naming the kid ABCDE to begin with?

That sad part of all of it is that there are a bunch of parents who name their kids like they’re naming some puppy with no thoughts regarding the kid’s future.
    It seems that the trend for naming a baby after one’s parents, a sports or military idol or even after a best friend might be taking a break because here’s just a few of the other names that some very, uh....”fun loving” parents came up with for their kids.
    http://www.realclear.com/living/2014/11/07/worst_baby_names_this_millennium_9485.html

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I still can't defend the simple ignorance of the airline employee.

A person should learn/be taught to tactfully handle unfamiliar situations when dealing with the public and they should always be aware of who is writing the checks.

Abcde is actually a nice name.

Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.