A Wine Story

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ike Willis, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

In 1957 I was a junior in high school at the same catholic school I attended, from 1946 until 1958. Catholic high school was in a brand new building on the edge of town. The building is still there but is now a Catholic grade school.
    We had moved from the farm to town by then. I began attending my school’s home basketball games, not because I gave a crap about basketball, but it gave me a chance to get out of the house and be with my pals. I don’t remember ever watching a game, but we did plenty of roaming about the school halls, the parking lot, flirting with any girls that were about, smoking and just trying to look cool.
    Under the basketball court was a hallway. There were two shower rooms, a home Ec. room and the industrial arts room. Normally these rooms were kept locked. However, someone slipped up during one home game. Two of my pals and I were wandering about and found ourselves in that hall, trying the doors as we walked along. That’s how we discovered the unlocked home Ec. door. We entered, hoping to find some snacks or something. It was the usual arrangement of tables, chairs, several cook stoves a big freezer and several refrigerators. I opened the freezer, hoping to find some ice cream. No luck. But, one of the refrigerators yielded an almost full bottle of communion wine. It was kept there because the high school had a small chapel. Grabbing the bottle, we retired to the parking lot and in the comfort of a friend’s car, shared the wine.
    The next school day, I was in my industrial arts class, drilling a block of scrap wood full of holes just to look busy. The principal/teacher came over with my two pals in tow. Teacher told us about the missing wine and asked if we knew anything about it. No one said a word. After a minute or so of silence, with the principal staring at us, I owned up to my part in it. I liked the guy. He was a pretty nice fellow for a priest.
    So, my folks grounded me for the rest of the school year. I had a feeling the nuns and priests were happy when my 1958 graduation came about. Not only that but, I think that priest put a curse on me because to this day I can’t tolerate wine.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It was fun to experience such mischief when we were young. For naughty boys like you, maybe that discovery of the wine was like finding the gold inside the Forth Worth vault, hahahaaa. And I can imagine how you imbibed that wine. For sure you did not enjoy the taste but you definitely enjoyed the drinking, just for the heck of it.

I studied in a Catholie school manned by nuns and I know their very strict code of conduct. I'm surprised that you were not expelled with that misdemeanor. It's a very good story particularly the punchline where you are cursed, hahahaaa.