A Weeks Groceries Around The World

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ruby Begonia, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember seeing that article a couple of years ago Ruby ...it's amazing the differences between nations. of course cost as well as availability comes into a huge part of it...but the weekly food shop for the British family bears little resemblance to anything that comes into this house ( I ave to admit that picture looks like it's been taken from the 1960's) lol...that said...I was stunned by the amount of red meat on the so called typical Australian table.....and the family in Chad in the Sudan who spend £37 which is probably a large percentage of their earnings..seem to get very little apart from rice and wheat or barley..in their shopping.

There seems to be an awful lot of alcohol being bought too in some of the households...as well as sweets, cakes, and junk food...

of course the western diets are fairly predictable, high in saturated , fat. sugar, etc ...the costs vary but then they're not doing a like for like grocery shopping list....that said..looking at all of those I think the one that most resembles the food shopping for this household is the family from Canada..

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmm. I'm from the U.S. and I don't see anything in that photo above that I buy except the red grapes and fresh tomatoes. I eat 3 pieces of bacon a day…well, not everyday, but I only buy a brand that has no nitrates in it. I can only find it at Trader Joe's. They have 2 choices and neither one has nitrates.

A week of groceries for me is: Fresh Kale, Romaine Lettuce, Organic Chicken, "Nellie's" Pasture-raised Jumbo Brown Eggs, Salsa, Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Off-the-Block, Olive Oil, Kumato Tomatoes, Nuts & Seeds, Fresh Fish, Almond Milk, Baby Broccoli, Celery, Organic Bananas & Blueberries, Cremini Mushrooms, Fresh Red Peppers, Spices, Coffee, Water (refill BPA-free water-spout jugs with reverse-osmosis water) sometimes shredded Carrots & Purple Cabbage, oh, and the no-nitrate bacon…and that's all folks :)

Westerners eat much more healthy than they did decades ago but we still get a bad rap. The bad stuff is still being sold so obviously there are those still eating it but the scales have shifted. Even the fast food restaurants are adding healthy choices these days.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I think it was from 2013, Holly. Not too long ago.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

yep 2 years ago Ruby...but I was saying that the picture of the British family looks so depressing and dark it makes it look like it was decades ago...I don't know anyone like that

6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Oh, I see what you mean. I believe you, of course!:D

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes it's posted in the Daily Mail Lara...but it's supposed to a randomly cross representative of not so much what the general population of the world .I think it's more about the cost of feeding a family in each country...regardless of whether they eat a healthy or unhealthy diet...and the little or not you get for the percentage of your income

For example the family who are representing North Carolina look like they have an appalling diet..yet you don't...I'm sure that's probably the same throughout the world...

Certainly I know for sure, that my diet is much healthier than my next door neighbour...and hers would be a whole lot cheaper than mine too because she buys own brand foods in discount stores etc...very high in saturated fats , and sugar...whereas mine and most people I know personally have a more expensive but healthier diet...(not as healthy as yours, but hey you do have a beautiful and clever nutritionist daughter at your disposal...can we borrow her please.... LOL...

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting article Ruby.
    Since I don't buy for a family anymore, my grocery list is nothing like that ... my weekly budget is about $50 maybe, and much of that seems to be anything but food. ... cleaning, paper products, and the best dog food/treats I can find. :D .. Myself, I can live on fruit, vegetables and tea/coffee.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders , I posted that first sentence before going to the link, and based it only on the photo in the opening post above. When I saw that uk was also being slammed in the link I deleted my first sentence but you got to it before me. I often review what I've posted after the fact and someone copies and pastes the before version :( . Sorry for the confusion.

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

No probs Lara...I was just s'plainin'...:D