A Rescue Almost Like In The Movies

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Three men were marooned at sea when a huge wave capsized their boat. Since they were wearing life-vests, they were able to swim ot a deserted island nearby.
    Just like the well-known story of Gilligan's Island, many years ago; the marooned sailors wrote "HELP" in palm leaves on the open beach, where an airplane pilot happened to see it as he flew past the island (unlike the hapless group with Gilligan, who were there for years).
    Happily, a rescue boat was sent out after the men, and they were safely returned home again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...949e94-fe92-11e5-813a-90ab563f0dde_story.html

Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Good news!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

What a wonderful job the air and see rescue groups do....well done to them, they don't get enough recognition, and so much of it is done on a voluntary basis..and I bet those guys were never so pleased to see a helicopter in their lives...

Von Jones and Ruby Begonia like this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

So true, Holly. I just watched the movie "The Guardian" Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher the other day. A very moving story line and well produced.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw the headline the other day, and actually shared it on social media, but didn't read the story until now. It looks like a beautiful place, but I wouldn't want to be stuck there for the rest of my life. I always share coast guard rescue stories, and have watched some of the shows (Coast Guard Alaska comes to mind), and it's amazing what they do. I had a former neighbor who was in the Coast Guard out of Galveston, and they do a lot that never makes the news, and help many.

6. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love stories like these, thanks for sharing both of you. I hadn't hear the Tucson story, although it looks as if it's a new one, so that could be why. I don't wander too far these days, but it's always good to know a few survival tips. It could have been a grisly ending for her, glad she and her dog were rescued.