A Private Journal or Secret Diary

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm in the habit of writing about my day before I go to bed. It's something I've been doing since my teens and it's always been good therapy for me. It would be painful to read some of them again, but now I write mainly what is good about each day. I write each day about what I did, where I went, who or what I saw, anything I learned, read or listened to. I express some of my hopes, fears and expectations, but in a positive way.

I sometimes include an event of national or world importance and how I feel about it, but mostly it's personal. I often look back to what I was doing and thinking a year or two ago, but I've not kept any of my older journals.

Have you ever written a daily dairy or journal just for yourself?

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I do have a journal, it is a thankful journal, where I write what I am thankful for that has happened to me that day. All my blessing, it is personal. I do not mention any news just personal things.

3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to keep a journal of sorts though it was often very boring, but I lost interest in it when my Dad died in September. Hopefully one of these days I'll find the desire to start again.

4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I never kept an official journal but now that I am hmmmmm.....almost old, I would love to read about how and what I was thinking when I was young. Especially during my "Hippy Era!" LOL, back when our slogan was "Don't trust anybody over 30!"

5. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have years and years worth of journals. I used to write quite extensively and recently came upon a whole bunch of these journals. I was wondering if maybe I should burn them. At the time I was writing mostly to diffuse the anxiety and trials of being newly divorced and dealing with being a single parent and all that goes with that. I am sure that many of the entries were rambling garbled thoughts that were on my mind at that time. As I recall I had quite a bit of stress and much anger.

I always felt it was better to write down my feelings then to just fixate on my thoughts and drive everyone around me nuts. I don't think it is a good idea to share every single thought with your co-workers or even with your family for that fact. Sometimes your deepest thoughts have a way of coming back to bite you when someone takes them out of context or decides they mean something other then what you meant it to be.

I actually had started journals way before that. I remember being married and one day my now ex came and told me he had found one of these journals and read it. I had actually censured quite a bit of it years earlier so that people and places remained private. It looked like something from the CIA with all the blacked out areas. My ex said he had felt the same things many times and thought that no one other then him felt that way. Maybe rather then burn the journals I should take exerts and write a book.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  6. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Jenn! I think that a book about a "regular" (not sure what term I should use) person would be a winner. There are so many books about famous/infamous but few about just ordinary people.