A Pick-me-up Vitamin Supplement?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you take any kind of vitamin supplement for energy? Our energy level has been fairly low lately, except for the days I take a 50mg Tramadol (VA prescription) for my shoulder arthritis pain. The Tramadol can really get me going like a "white tornado".

I'm currently looking at an online product called Energy Booster from Natural Wellness.
    Supplement Facts are: Vitamin C and Vitamin B2-B3-B6-B12 and B5. It also has a Proprietary Energy Blend and 75mg of Caffeine.

Thoughts?

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Forget it-----Just eat healthy.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Other than what @Lon Tanner wrote, get a blood test.
    You live a fairly sedentary life so if you eat healthy and are still dragging, again, get a blood test and have them throw in a hormone panel. Then you can complain to your doctor and he or she might be able to give you some better advice.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First, we eat as healthy as we can or want to. More of the “want to” I’d say. We just aren’t into eating real healthy, but absolutely watch our sugar intake.

I am going to get a sample of this product Energy Booster to try.

Funny, but I remember when Geritol was a great product for “iron poor blood”.

5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Could be the weather sapping your energy. I don't know where you live, but the heat and humidity here takes the wind out of your sails. I was prescribed Tramadol and I don't notice anything much different after taking it myself.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We live in northern Colorado and humidity is pretty much a "zero" here. That humidity, added to heat, was one reason we left Jacksonville, Florida and returned to Colorado.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I have sent a PM to my VA doctor and her nurse asking about the product Energy Booster. And also ask them if they could recommend any vitamin supplement that would boost our energy.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I quit drinking I was concerned for what I might have done to my body. I read a few books on supplements, took copious notes, set stuff up in spreadsheets to ensure the proper ratios and the right things for my age/gender/weight (tweaking as I learned), and ended up with a program where I had (3) 7 Day Pill Boxes full of stuff (morning/afternoon/evening.) It was a lot of stuff. I ran it by my doctor, who told me it would do no harm.

I was on the regime for several years (more for my head than for my body), and eventually stopped. Everything I read said that if you are deficient in a given vitamin, you will notice the difference when you supplement. I felt no difference when I started or when I ended. But I've always eaten well: fruit every morning, salad at lunch, salad at dinner, etc. I'll eat fast food, but not extensively.

I'd say two things about the supplement you cited:

1-I recall that B vitamins compete in your system to be absorbed,so you can unintentionally introduce a deficiency in one of them by over-supplementing another. I don't recall how much you would have to over-supplement in order to introduce such a condition. I assume the makers of that supplement have addressed that.

2-I see that it has caffeine. That's a sneaky way to make you think the supplements are giving you a boost.

I'd ask if you're exercising, but even my hypocrisy has its limits ;)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hubby was complaing of fatigue - doctor did blood work ..seems he was very very low on Vitamin D and B-12..doctor has him on Virmains for this.
    @Cody Fousnaugh ..get a blood test first y'all might not need vitamins..least if you do you will know fort what defencey.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'll wait and see what my VA doctor and nurse think. Hopefully, they will be able to tell us something.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Why is it that so many men and women avoid getting a hormone panel done when they get a blood test?

The first time I asked for one, fatigue was the reason the Practitioner used for ordering the panel. My reason was quite different than that but she filled in the order that way and it didn’t make any difference to me. Sometimes I have to give a urine sample and sometimes I do not but all in all, it’s just another viral from the same stick of the needle + or - a UA.

An imbalance in one’s overall hormone levels can do a lot of damage to our energy levels, fat growth, weight loss or gain, bone density, muscle strength, muscle growth, sex life, sleep patterns and the list goes on.
    Now, why the doctors do not automatically include the panel with a blood test I do not know nor have I studied the matter since I DO know that all I have to do is ask.
    Each and every time I get the results back it gives me the complete story and not just part of it.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose because some of us have no complaints that would necessitate such testing. I don't even believe I "need" the annual blood work at all but they won't give me blood pressure medicine unless I have the tests done.

Betty Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Well yeah, I suppose that’s true. I mean, if it seems to work, why fix it?

Now, about that blood pressure medicine Beth,
    When did you find out that you needed it? Was it because you just suddenly felt like your blood pressure was high or was it when a doctor tested it and said, “jumpin jeepers you’re gonna stroke out if this keeps up!”
    Just kidding Beth, but to tell the truth, that’s about what my VA doctor said about 13 or so years ago and yep, I’m taking 20mg of Lisinopril per day.

Just thinking.
    I wonder how many ailments a senior citizen, particularly men, could simply set aside by taking one small additional test?
    I mean, the OP is about Cody being fatigued all the time and now he wants to spend money on something he might not even need or should even take.

Jus sayin’

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As an EMT instructor, and as someone who has the equipment to test my own blood pressure and oxygen saturation, I know that these values (speaking particularly of blood pressure) change considerably throughout the day, and one blood pressure reading can differ considerably within ten minutes. Because of this, it bothers me when a doctor, who I might see once a year, suggests blood pressure medication on the basis of one blood pressure reading, and that's happened to me twice. So I suggest rechecking it in five or ten minutes, at which time it is well within normal limits. So it makes me wonder how many people are taking medications, with possible side effects, on the basis of that one reading.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I went to my doctor during cold weather last year, and was wearing a sweater. His assistance came in to take my blood pressure, and as I was rolling up my sleeve told me "That's not necessary." So I let her take it through my bulky sweater. She's the expert. My systolic was up 20 points. The doctor came in, looked at the data, and said "Your blood pressure's up." I said "No, your assistant took it through my sweater." The look on his face was priceless. I hope he fixed the problem.

I've had one high reading since, and I told the girl to give me a minute and take it again. A couple of slow deep breaths and it was fine.