A Pharmacist That Makes House Calls

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Can you believe that. He just left my apartment two hours ago after spending almost one hour with me and going over the meds that I take.It's sure as hell not CVS or Walgreens. He and his group of Pharmacists will charge no more and generally less than you pay at the big chains plus deliver prescriptions to your front door at no charge. He offered some great suggestions that I will discuss with my PC tomorrow. Apparently one of the meds that I take can have negative reactions with other meds. They use a different type of user friendly containers and reminders that are superior to anything that I have ever seen. They are going to do very well with this kind of service.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The only time Ive had that happen was when my husband was on Hospice. They would always call me and make sure I had what he needed, especially over a weekend.

Then they would hand deliver it. Since his Hospice was through St. Agnes Hospital I think it was from a Pharmacy they used.

How did you find this service @Lon Tanner ?

Although I don't need it since my Walgreens is 2 blocks from my house but it would be nice if I'm ever not able to go out.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We get our medications through the Huntsville Hospital pharmacy, which has several branches located in different areas. Mostly, we use the one that is in the facility where the fitness center is located (which is also part of the hospital services); but before that, I was picking them up at the Heart Center.
    If I wasn't goingin for an appointment, they would mail me all of my heart meds; so all I had to do was call and let them know that I was running out and needed a refill.
    It sounds like you have found an amazing pharmacist, @Lon Tanner , and I would also like to know what they are called and how you found this kind of service.
    As a curiosity, which meds did they say can have negative reactions with other meds ?
    My PCP changed the blood thinner I was taking from Xarelto to Savaysa because it is not as damaging to the kidneys, and I am already in the early stages of kidney failure from taking the blood thinner for so long.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, doctors do not even make house calls ..unless of course your filthy rich or a celebrity .
    Reading this made me think of group of doctors have one way to help people- do not remember where
    it started but think here in Texas. Y0u pay a flat fee of $200 a month and all your medical needs -except surgeries
    and meds are taken care of.

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks...I'll look them up.

Ha ha...I do think that Fresno has a Walgreens, CVS or Rite Aid on every corner. :)

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

GKNRX was suggested to me by the manager of the apartment complex where I live. She seems to be wired into a number of beneficial things for my fellow senior residents. The drug that the Pharmacist said that could react unfavorably with my other meds is AMIDARONE. I will discuss this with both my PC and Cardiologist when I see them this coming Monday. The pharmacist is emailing me some notes to take with me to my appointments.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am on that right now, as well, @Lon Tanner ; but hopefully, now that they have done the new ablation procedure, I will be able to get back from of it in a few months. I think that this is one that can cause both kidney and liver damage with long term use; but it sometimes is the only drug that can hold a person's heart out of a-fib. I haven't heard that it might react badly with any of my other medications; but that might be a possibility also.
    You and I are probably on most of the same heart meds.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just looked it up @Lon Tanner and the actual Pharmacy is at Herndon and Cedar, about 3 miles south of me.

Does this service cost? Do they take all insurance?

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

They take all insurance and their services are all free. Drug prices are the same or cheaper than CVS and Walgreens.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.