A Motivated Kid

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Ted Richards, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Well-Known Member
    Registered

I started early making money any way I could because there were a lot of things I wanted to buy. I vaguely recall selling something door-to-door when I was 8 or 9 but I don't remember much about it. It was farm country so door-to-door was formidable task. During fall school days I'd harvest sugar cane on the farm and sell it at school for a penny a stick. When I was 11, i hired out to dig a cesspool for the local store but that didn't last too long because I got it done quick as I could so I could spend the money!

My first real job was a bit later that summer. A contractor moved his gravel plant into the desert wash a 1/4 mile up the road so I checked it out as little boys will. I noticed he had one of the laborers posted sitting in a lawn chair watching two open farm gates making sure no cattle wandered out. The gates had to stay open during the day so dump trucks hauling gravel could pass. I knew I wasn't up to man-size labor but I certainly could do that job! So I hunted up the boss and told him I could do that job for half wages and he could put the man back to work. That concept appealed to him so he hired me with one caveat, I had to get a Social Security number before he could pay me.

I got the S.S. number but the job only lasted three weeks because when payday rolled around the boss told me he just found out that employees had to be 18 years old to work on a State Highway project and that included contractor hires. Then it was back to only selling fish worms. I didn't sell many because it was desert country and the nearest streams were miles away. I promoted that business by posting a 4 ft. X 8 ft sign outside our farm gate.

More later

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.