A Man After My Own Heart

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Jenn Windey, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I am one of the more eccentric people in the world. I have a passion for Turtles and Tortoises. Many people do not know this but there are several species that are close to becoming extinct.

I have one red eared slider that was a rescue, a Sulcata which is like a walking boulder and two Russian torts. I spoil them rotten.

Today I came upon a nice feel good story on turtles and someone trying to make a difference in the world. The source credit goes to CNN. Very nice to see people that care

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Enjoyed the video Jenn, thanks!
    [​IMG]

Jenn Windey likes this.
  3. Jenn Windey

Registered

[​IMG]

The things that make me smile... You know I never miss the news posts on turtles although I am very hard pressed to read them if it is about something bad happening to them. In unrelated turtle news they are filming the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles here where I live this weekend. They have the whole Thruway shut down for the crew to film :) Kalabonga dude!

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the most amazing sites I've seen was when we were "drift" scuba diving. Basically a boat takes you upriver, drops you off, and you float downstream, 20' underwater, with the current. The current was running about 5 mph, which doesn't sound very fast, but it was virtually impossible for us mere humans to swim against the current and go upstream.

Any way, we were floating down the river and we saw this enormous turtle. And he was effortlessly swimming upstream - just barely moving his feet, like he was out for a leisurely afternoon stroll. He was beautiful.

5. Jenn Windey

Registered

I had the chance this weekend to get some gardening done. I took my turtle outside because the weather was so nice and the sun was so bright. I can not get over how much he has grown in just a year. Anyway here is a recent picture of my big guy. He is a Sulcata tortoise and about 7 or 8 years old now, this is considered the teenage range for this species. When I got him he was bigger then most torts but much smaller then he is now. My garden buddy :)

Attached Files:

Richard Paradon likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Does your buddy have a name?

Richard Paradon likes this.