A Lucky Son Of A Gun

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I am a reader. I am blind in my left eye and don’t read as fast as I used to but I still read. I mean there’s television and there is the library or if you’ve got a few buck extra there is Amazon and kindle books. I like Kindle Books. I’ve been reading the Kindle edition books now for about six years or so. I can enlarge the print size to suit me. And i have found Kindle books suit me.

Hardback books are heavy and hard to hold and read. Paperback books solve the weight problem and I always broke the back of a paperback as soon as I got one, making it much easier to hold, but you can not or seldom can find what you want to read in a paperback. I read paperback Western novels for many years until I decided I had read all the good ones. I even read some of them twice, like Zane Grey’s ‘Riders of the Purple Sage’ and ‘Hondo’ by Louis L’Amour, and ‘Shane’. There are others that do not come to mind.

They don’t convert all books to Kindle but enough of them to keep you reading a varied and interesting library in many genres. I have been reading Louise Penny on Kindle. All her mysteries are on the NYTimes best seller list and they are very good but I have about finished her fourth book and I think I am tired of Three Pines, Canada; even tire of Chief Inspector, Camache. I think I’m ready for a short break from mysteries. So, guess what?

I bought a book of short stories by Alice Munro, another excellent Canadian writer. I’m going to take a two hour break from reading in which time I will fix myself something to eat, then wash up the dishes from lunch, then sit with my wife as she watches TV and read some Alice Munro. Sometime I have to pinch myself to remind what a lucky son of a gun I am. Cheers, William.

2. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm an avid reader too! All of my books are eBooks from Kindle, Google Play and other book sellers. As Bill Boggs said, the big advantages are the ability to enlarge the print for tired old eyes and library portability. When I have appointments and have to sit in waiting rooms, it" nice to have my reading materials on a lightweight tablet with me to read. I can even borrow books from our library system and download them to read.

The other selling point is affordability. eBooks are much less expensive than hardbacks with prices ranging from free up to $16.99 for best sellers from top authors.
    Two daily services that I would recommend are Book Bub and Early Bird. They send out an e-mail daily with sharply reduced prices on featured books and tell you who is having the sale on eBooks. I find most of my books that way
    I also appreciate the fact that Google and Kindle provide a sample of the book I might like and if I still like it after 20 pages or so, I can still buy it at the sale price.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I also use Book Bub, and another one called Book Gorilla, which has the same kind of a mix of free and cheap books. I have a large iPad with a keyboard case, that it is hard to turn it to read with, and way too large to be carrying around; so I have one of the new Kindles, and I basically only use it for reading.
    Amazon also has the Kindle lending Library, where you can borrow books to read, as well as Amazon Prime Reading, that is also like a library. Prime reading has not only regular books, but audiobooks, and also magazines, and they add new ones all of the time. I am more of a reader than a TV watcher, so I really enjoy Prime Reading.
    Another Amazon feature is called Kindle First. You sign up for that, and at the first of each month, they email you a selection of new books that have not yet been released, and you can choose one of them for free.
    I just bought an iPad Mini, and it is also great for reading, especially when it is a book that has illustrations, because it is just enough larger than the Kinlde that it makes pictures easy to see. I also use it for listening to self-help tapes/apps at night, with my headphones, and it would also work great for audio books if a person enjoys that.

4. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks! I've registered with them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They (Book Gorilla) also have a drawing every day for a free Kindle, if you want to enter it. You have to follow some author to enter; but then you can unfollow them if it is not the kind of books you are interested in reading.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you Yvonne for telling me about this. I have just joined 'Book Gorilla' as an author and my six books should be available there to follow soon.
    [​IMG]

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.