A Jok For Breakfast!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

On mornings that I am lazy and don't feel like cooking breakfast, I walk to one of the street vendors and buy a bowl of "Jok" which is a simple but delicious rice soup. It is basically overcooked rice, with an egg, some pork and a little bit of greens. It comes with a little bag of chili infused vinegar and crushed hot pepper.

Usually when I buy a bowl I am teased by the cook who will ask me if I am drunk! She has known me for seven years but the question remains the same. The reason behind it is because it is a dish that many people eat when they are having a hangover!

[​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. I have never heard of a jok. I live in GA, have traveled a lot of places and have eaten a lot of different dishes. I am presently a vegetarian and learning to cook a new way all over again. However, I am not familiar with this dish. I will be looking to try it though as I am limited with recipes that I can now fix coming from eating nothing but meat to eating no meat at all. It looks so delicious for a cold morning pick me up. I will let you know how I come out.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello and welcome! Jok is a Thai dish and very common here. It is basically a rice porridge and I am sure that it would be very tasty without meat. I would suggest you cut the veggies in small pieces and perhaps add a bit of soy sauce to enhance the flavor.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

......and if you spill it, the Jok is on you!;):rolleyes:

6. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

:rolleyes:Moan....

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning, Jok for breakfast anyone?
    Here's a delicious looking Thai Jok recipe:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016651-thai-rice-soup-with-pork-cilantro-meatballs

In the link is this quote, "Jok, also called congee, is a rice porridge that’s like the oatmeal of Asia -- a soft, soothing, filling breakfast that can be sparked with add-ins and toppings for flavor and crunch. Before dawn in Bangkok, jok vendors begin the battle to make the juiciest meatballs, the tiniest ginger matchsticks and the liveliest pickled fresh chiles."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Ruby Begonia and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Q: When is an oatmeal not an oatmeal?
    A: When it's a jok!

[​IMG]