A Hero Becomes A Dancer

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Diane Lane, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure y'all are familiar with the story of the three American heroes who stepped up and took down a terrorist on the train in France back in August. One of those heroes is Alek Skarlatos, a 22-year-old from Oregon (right where the shooting attack took place yesterday at the community college.) There is speculation that Alek attended that school, and that the attack was in retribution for him and his friends foiling the terrorist attack. I don't know if that is actually true, but he is from that area, which is why this story comes from Oregon.

Dancing With The Stars has been casting 'heroes' for several seasons now as stars, and it's nice to see someone of substance taking part in the show. Surprisingly, Alek is actually a good dancer, and he has style and swagger. Hopefully the incident in Oregon won't affect his performances, because he could be a winner.

For those unfamiliar with True Blood, this dance is based on characters from the show. Alek's dance partner is one of the best, she does a great job of transforming a layperson into a dancer, and this is a really good performance. http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2015/09/watch_oregons_alek_skarlatos_g.html

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, he was attending Umpqua Community College at the time that he was deployed to Afghanistan.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

@Ken Anderson Do you think the school was selected because he had attended it? It seems such an odd coincidence, otherwise.

@Krissttina Isobe I don't feel at all comforted by O's responses to any disasters. His actions make us look weak, and invite others to feel emboldened. He also exhibits some odd behaviors during such speeches. I was watching a clip of him, and, rather than seeming upset and resolute, he tends to put a smirk on his face, which is really off putting to me. I can't imagine how it would appear to the injured and the families of those murdered.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The shooter was, or had, attended school there too, so it was probably coincidental

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the need to be realistic about mental illness is part of the message that the president was saying. Other countries address the need that these people have and try to help them to keep them from harming other people and their self because they feel they are not getting any help. When you try to bring it to a persons attention that some one in their family or some one they know is showing behavior that may need to be watched it is swept under the rug.

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel kind of bad for Alec he has had quite a year no doubt about that. Yes, he was hailed a hero after apprehending the terrorist on the train, but even that had to be harrowing experience for him and his two companions. Now this shooting incident at his university where he should of been back attending but because of a twist of fate that led to him becoming a hero and doing Dancing with the Stars he decided not to return this semester, only to still be haunted by the event. Then there was word that one of his friends who was a hero along with him was stabbed multiple times a week ago, fortunately he wasn't killed in the attack. Anyway, Alec has had quite a roller coaster year no doubt about that.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, for sure @Hannah Davis, he seemed very shaken about the college attack, and I'm sure his buddy being stabbed multiple times was also a shock. Apparently he was defending a female who ended up abandoning him at the scene, and taking off with his attackers. The world has changed a lot over the past few generations, and certainly not for the better. But, it was switch up week on DWTS, and Alek seemed to really hit it off with his replacement partner Emma, and she agreed to a date :). http://www.inquisitr.com/2495584/al...ing-with-the-stars-duo-pursue-a-real-romance/