A Gun-free America

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't either

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Okay, keep your weapon handy and have a happy holliday everybody.

Beatrice Taylor and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll keep a firm (but not too firm) grip on my 9 iron....

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And all cities that have been run by Democratic Party machines for decades.

Tex Dennis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Jack Knight

Jack Knight Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If ever the time comes when only Law Enforcement and the Military will have guns, do you think this will bring an end to civilian gun violence in America?
    Good question.
    An end to civilian gun violence in America? Reduction may be possible. Using Australia where gun laws were put in place not an end but stats show a decline.
    I thought this info by the Australian government was interesting. Particularly this section. Released 16 February 2018 Crime Victimisation Australia, 2016-17
    http://www.abs.gov.au/Crime-and-Justice
    The bad part is the decline means nothing if you happen to be a victim. All in all I think guns aren't quite as personal as for example killing with a machete. But dead is dead no matter the method used.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

A crime-free community is one in which everyone is armed knows that everyone else is armed.

Hal

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

9. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

The day I took off work at lunch to take dad to the doctor, we were attempted carjacked, dad was stabbed in his eye losing it my shoulder and arm was cut, I stopped it from being more serious than it was, in Australia, UK or other similar areas we would both have been dead due to laws there. Thankfully I live in a free to defend myself and family country, the 2 pieces of street trash did not fare well, the 3rd the driver was later captured. He got 20 yrs. Being vigilant and willing to act saved dad and I and gave me several more years with him, I am just scarred from it both mentally and physically. It can happen anywhere to anyone at any time. STAY SAFE ALL! For my remaining days I shall never forget the look on the thug's faces when they knew they had made a bad mistake that day.
    My shirt & vest:
    vest.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that sounds terrifying. I'm so glad you and your father lived to tell the story. When was that, @Tex Dennis ?

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    Personal self defense against potential lethal threat is a highly argued, often contested, usually misunderstood by both sides, pro and con issue. Every state in the Union has legal provisions on the books providing for individual use of lethal force when faced with perceived lethal threat. Say, if a mugger threatens with a knife, somewhere secluded it will likely be, possibly no others witnessing the incident, at what point should one make the crucial decision to act against the aggressor, rather than submit?

@Tex Dennis has revealed the extremes of duress one is faced with during such an incident, even though he has a background of experiencing violent behavior, preparing for it, and has armed himself adequately, not only with arms, but mentally as well. Anyone can feel safer when in possession of, say, a handgun; very few in reality are actually safer, unless they commit totally and completely to follow through with any training they may have received.

In my entire adult lifetime, nearly half of it spent in the Chicago area, most definitely a place of known criminal activity, only one incident occurred which prompted me to draw my gun, out from beneath the dashboard of my car. Long story short, a two-vehicle confrontation at a residential intersection, no collision involved, I was alone, the other vehicle occupied by two young men about my age, perhaps 21 or so, they turned out to be hooligans looking for the good time they expected resulting from harassing another person who was alone......no witnesses as it were on my side. They made demands, I drove away. They followed my car, I did nothing to try to evade them. Soon, they pulled alongside my car, to my left, and the passenger started to get out cursing expletives about what was about to happen to me..........I slipped my .45 Automatic out of it's holster, greatly fearing for my safety, but having seen no weapon.

Holding it in my right hand to point it out my window (I shoot best left-handed), the opening door stopped abruptly, and closed. Immediate intense apologies were begun.......I hope they pissed their pants......I said, leave. Now. They did. I never saw them again.

Did I do the wrong thing? Had I wound up injured or dead, no. The immediate future events before us are very difficult to foresee, or predict. Unfortunately, that's what self defense is all about.

Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Tex Dennis

Registered

Beth that incident took place some years back when dad was alive, I knew from my background that the line had been crossed and I had to act instantly and did so, being mentally resistant to act to me is as much or more than being physically prepared, also the willingness to follow through with said action, there is no time to think. There are really those that wish to cause you harm out there.
    I was in court a week almost, sold my new truck at a huge loss. I have been the target of 2 such incidents with the 2nd though no one was injured & stopped it before anyone was, very lucky there, they had a change of mind and heart when confronted with harm to themselves. Later arrested close by after we provided info to LE.
    Suspects same type in both, early 20's, black, male, thug dress, all had prior records, decent part of the city, had knives, prior drug charges. Also had the attitude and "look"....
    Being aware of your surroundings goes along way for me, I call it situation awareness.
    Thanks all for understanding, many in my past did not and thought I was a horrible person yet offered no positive thoughts only negative anti replies to my actions.
    Instances as I have experienced and others I know even my 80+ year old neighbor who was assaulted and almost killed in a home breakin have shown me and others it can happen. This was a Mexican illegal. Stay Safe All.
    I refrained for personal reasons not posting a picture of my dad.

15. Tex Dennis

Registered

We had a class on mental follow through when a defensive action was taken, as an example was used picture yourself involved with a swarm of biting bees, you don't stop until the last one is taken care of do you of away from them safely? You defend yourself with anything you have totally to keep from harm. Usually trying to flee comes 1st if you cant then your actions come into play. The incident with dad there was no question of when to act or to stop the action asap. I have personally known 4 including myself that have been the victim of an attack, all survived from being prepared and willing to mentally follow through to stop it. These 4 instances were over a period of many years. All attackers had similar descriptions. None were in a bad area. As we age our means of self defense can change if ever needed. Never think it cant happen to you.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.