A Gun-free America

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And make sure of your target. You don't want to shoot someone you love accidentally.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    When we lived in Phoenix, a man, awakened by someone outdoors trying to open the patio sliding door, shot through the glass, killing a drunk who thought he was trying to get into his own house. The homeowner was not charged. This would be the other extreme end of "self-defense" killing in which fear for one's own life, as well as one's family members', justified use of lethal force, as determined by prosecutors.
    Frank

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Training has a lot to do with being mentally prepared to do just about anything.
    When I was in jump school, we trained for two weeks and when the time came to actually making my first blast, it was automatic. No wondering about it, I just did what I trained so hard to do.

The same applies to potentially taking a life using a weapon ( or even hand to hand). Go to the gun range, go over a scenario in your brain and shoot. Change the scenario and shoot again. Change, shoot.
    Each imaginary combative experience that goes through one’s brain over and over will enable a person to do what Must be done without any hesitation.
    The eventuality is that you aren’t combating another human being, just something that wishes to take your life.

All that said, back to the topic at hand. The U.K. has outlawed guns for many years now but the bad guys always seem to find firearms to do whatever they wish to do. Australia has recently outlawed firearms and according to the news (such as it is) some folks have gotten really good with sticks and knives.

The U.S.A. in general will never surrender nor allow the outlawing for personal firearms no matter the inclinations of a few politicians and some citizens who are acutely tuned into the liberal media.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm too old to run or put up a fight. I'd like two weapons in my household; a handgun ( I always favored a revolver because I was more accurate with a revolver) and a short-barrelled shotgun, say a five shot 20 gauge pump.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I got a cast iron skillet..
    A baseball bat
    I don't need a gun:p

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Many a husband of yore, learned to be good husbands by a wife with knowledge of how to properly wield a cast iron skillet.

7. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our government cannot keep out drugs so how can they keep out firearms? Dogs cannot sniff them out and they can be disassembled, so that even x-raying will not find them. What much of the population failed to realize is that criminals do not obey the law so no matter how many laws they pass will only work for law abiding citizens who are not the problem.

Often anti gun people point to other countries who ban guns as success stories. First off most are smaller than the State of Texas. Our borders are immense and our population much larger with 300,000,000 guns already out there, most which cannot be traced back to its owner. England banned most firearms and now London as had go ban carrying any type of knife because people were being killed by knives. Home invasions increased due knowing that home owners had no means of defense. BTW, now hammers are the new weapons of choice for murder along with truck and bombs.

Humans have been killing each other since the days when the only weapon was a rock. Do we blame the drunk driver or his car for killing a family of 4? Yet we focus on the firearms and not the people who misuse them. Once again for those who do not get it; criminals do not obey laws, only good people do so more laws and disarming the law abiding people will not do much but give a false impression like it has after every new anti gun law. How do you stop guns from entering the US when only a tiny percentage of imports are checked. How do you prevent people from making guns at home like they now do with drugs? Most of all we should all be smart enough go know, if only using prohibition as an example, that what people want, people will get, laws or no laws.

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Vinny Waccio
    Everything you stated is true. What was not addressed is the fact that removing firearms from the masses' possession aids one group the most: the government. Governments fear armed citizenry, and rightly so. Thus, the politicians stress that more gun control will equate to a safer living condition: for them, though they never reveal that. Frank

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Per your first sentence @Vinny Waccio, there is a huge push for the legalization of drugs whilst another push to strip the American citizenry of firearms which is about as preposterous as encouraging sex to promote chastity.

By the bye, welcome to our small community!

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The whole idea about getting rid of guns is an agenda put out to make you helpless. They shoot kids in gun free zones to pull on your heart strings to make you think removing guns is the answer but it happened in a gun free zone. More children die from advert reactions to vaccines then die from guns but don't bring that up. More children die in car accidents but that is OK. The news media have an agenda and removing guns is their job. The same people who complain about guns are the same people who complain about governments. Using that logic give your guns to the government you don't trust, What a bunch of idiots.

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Martin Alonzo
    Is firearms ownership in Dom. Rep. restricted, Martin?
    Frank

12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Yes you require permission for hand gun. Walking down the street it is some times like the wild west as you can see guns in peoples belts under their shirts and there is quite a few guns being carried. there is more people killed here with machetes than guns. I think it is a good idea if you are going to get out of line some one just might put you in your place. I feel quite safe here.

13. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been a competitive shooter since childhood in the youth classes, part owner of 2 sporting goods stores and still shoot matches all the time, firearms are a part of my life here in free Texas. I am here today due to legally having a LTC 2 times over one a car jacking to me and friend, the other bringing dad home from his doctor where he got stabbed in the face and eye in another carjacking attempt when I lived in Dallas. The look on the thugs face I will never forget when they realized they had done the wrong thing. So yes I am very much a proponent of legally LTC and ownership of firearms, most all of my friends I have were met fishing and shooting or both, male and female both.
    So do I think a gun free society would work ? NOPE. Without starting a civil war how is it proposed and will not happen. All opinions welcomed by me. In free land we all have choices for ourselves, I have mine for me yours for you is all it is, where the govt imposes it's will on you is a totally different thing

14. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to see some replies here..

15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I think most of the people on this forum agree with you. Tex