A Great Storage Idea

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Walls they can be so bare and boring. This article came from a DIY site I recently joined. The idea in the photo is a real simple way to make a bare and boring wall decorative and functional. The article does suggest alternatives rather than the piping. Some were sturdy curtain rods, rods made of wood or anything that would withstand the weight of it's purpose.

I like the way it is presented in the author's craft room this is an idea that would be perfect in the carriage house.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Clever but I'm past this stage in life. I've just been throwing things in the garbage every week.

I would say I haven't used 95% of the stuff I have in 8 years at least.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Very true Chrissy, when we moved from 2 bedroom to one, it was proof, we didn't need half the stuff

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

For renters, simple shelving using concrete blocks(or bricks) and lumber, eliminate attaching to the walls and can hold more weight. They can also be painted to match your decor, and easily relocated or removed.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

That's so true @Joe Riley. Property owners have taken a stand on how their property is maintained by renters. I can't stand to see the bare walls when I visit my son's home.

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

You guys are reminding me of the days Michael and I first set up house. We took 8 cinder blocks, a door, and three old couch cushions we found, and that became our first piece of livingroom furniture. We used small cable spools for three chairs to go with a card table for our kitchenette. We took what little money we could scrape together and we bought a good mattress.

We were happy and proud of ourselves for living within our means.

Kitty Carmel, Joe Riley and Von Jones like this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes it's hard to get rid of stuff but then I've quickly forgotten I even had it. I'm hardly a minimalist but I realize having more stuff isn't worth it.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I've been trying to pare thing down so I can move. I've been giving my son's and his father's things to other family members for the last year. Some of the big things like tractors , cars, wood working equipment, clothes, and all the things most people acquire in a lifetime, and I still need to cut the piles down. It's amazing the amount of stuff a person accumulates. But it's still got to be done.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

It is amazing Ina - we had many wardrobes full of stuff, then we moved here to find ONE wardrobe for the pair of us :p
    But we do get by, just need to be a bit more organised :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, Kitty, even when hoarding is not the issue, we end up with a trail of material things in our possession.

I used to have trouble getting a handle on the word "stewardship", until I parked the word "ownership" next to it. Someone said that we should own ten things. We are stewards of all the rest. We are keeping it for others.

Kitty Carmel and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Living within your means really sums it up. It's the way it should be.

There seems to be so little of that today. Instant gratification. Everything is dated and needs to be replaced. Maybe I'm watching too much Home and Garden TV. But it seems that's what people are into.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I do understand @Kitty Carmel. I'm a woman of my times, but I am also old fashioned in many ways. I have always been proud of making my home function on as little money as I could, and the rest went in the bank. I grew up with the idea that if you could you put aside whatever was left over for your retirement. I received some ribbing for it, but today as a single person I can live comfortably. So that attitude paid off.:rolleyes:

I've never had the buying bug, thank the Creator, and through the years all my furniture came from the castoff of my family's older generations, and the occasional piece I found set out on the side of rhe road. I just taught myself how to refinish it all, and now I have a houseful of antiques, :p

I too get hung up on the gardening, cooking, and DIY programs. How can you not? :oops: :D