Have You Ever Been To A Circus?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Jayce Gray, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thats good.

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

The Horses were beautiful from what I saw on tv.

[​IMG]

Janine Coral and Leigh Petty like this.
  3. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

Yes, I heard they're going to be in 3 Ohio cities...soon..no animal acts..
    More like circuque du Soleil.

Marie Mallery and Janine Coral like this.
  4. Leigh Petty

Leigh Petty Active Member
    Registered

My husband took me to the circus for the first time in my life when I was in my late 50's. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I am so glad now that I went...and happier that they don't let elephants perform in the circus anymore.

Janine Coral and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think it is a good thing that some organizations like PETA are stopping some of the animal abuse, although I don't always agree with their politics, I do like the fact they try to save the animals and oceans.

Janine Coral likes this.
  6. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As a child/younger girl, I seemed to have no interest in the circus, or as my
    parents told me. Mom said, I was basically horrified by the clowns and all those
    in costumes. I thought don't remember that...

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I went to a circus as a child, I remember seeing a lion caged up, looked like it was being taunted. I don't agree with circuses now, or zoos, God made wild animals to live in the wild, not in captivity.

8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I honestly cannot remember whether I have or not. Don’t remember much from childhood.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How about as an adult , @Thomas Windom ? The question just asks of you have ever been. I am thinking that I went to one when I was a kid, but I remember taking my kids to the circus at least once when they were growing up, and also my granddaughter when she was little,. She loved the circus, and got to actually ride on the elephant, which she totally loved.
    My folks had a little neighborhood grocery when I was growing up, and all the food came from delivery trucks, and they usually brought us flyers to put up when there was a circus or rodeo in Spokane.
    I think that it was from the Wonder Bread sales people, and they helped to sponsor the event.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Thomas Windom

Registered

No. I would have remembered as an adult so, if I ever went, it would have been as a kid.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Several as a kid including a couple of 3 ring.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll tell you a funny story that happened to me many years ago.

The company I worked for had its office and warehouse right next to the railroad tracks. One day I came to work and WOW, the circus train was parked on a siding right next to our warehouse. I was so excited!

At lunch, I walked out onto the tracks and saw down the way that there were a couple of people stretched out in beach lounges sunning themselves right on the track. I thought "Well, I'll just make up a little bag of our goods (suncare products) and trot down to meet them." So I did. And when I got there, I realized two things....one of them I recognized as a very, very famous lion trainer AND he was stark naked, stretched out on the lounger. The other person, his wife, had on a skimpy bikini. At that point, I was already there, so I said something to the effect about welcome to our city and I had brought them some suncare products. They were both very pale skinned. We chatted a while about how much I loved the circus and how my grandfather had been with one and they said they were glad to be able to get out in the sun for awhile. I was really glad I was wearing dark sunglasses because my eyes didn't know where to look.

Being Europeans, I guess it was perfectly normal for them to lay out on railroad tracks naked in the middle of a large city. I was just delighted to have to gotten to meet them.

When I saw them at the circus two nights later, they must have been wearing dark body makeup because they were very tan.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to the circus. My Mom enrolled me in this program when I was little. I remember the circus but back then I had no idea about it. All I remember is the stink. I see the images in my mind but the stink just overpower them. I'm sure if I enjoyed it I would have better memories and for that reason I've never taken my sons to the circus when they were little. I did allow them to go with the school though.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  14. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Every Year Barnum and Bailey Houston Texas, Sam Houston Coliseum right next door to the Houston Police Headquarters. Parking was across the street on the other side of the Bayou and you walked over a foot bridge or you could park on the other side if you liked.

HC.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Thomas Windom

Registered

Funny story involving circuses…many years ago, my wife and I took an actual vacation, something we really don’t do. We spent several days at North Fork Mountain Inn in Smoke Hole, WV, very remote for being so close to DC. Anyway, when we pulled up, I noticed a Jeep SUV parked near the building which I assumed belonged to the proprietor. It had an unusual tag on it, “RBBBC”.

A couple mornings later, we went out to sit on the front porch and our host was sitting out there with his laptop, smoking a cigar. I asked if the Jeep was his, which he said it was, and asked him what the tag meant. He said … Oh, I’m the marketing director for Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus. He said he was just doing a bit of work on his computer.