A Good Read

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, May 8, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a reader; I sat up late tonight and finished a book. Reading is one of the few things I can still do. I don't usually do this but if you're looking for a good read, try this one: "have a little faith" by Mitch Albon. It's a page turner, a true story, and I recommend it. Cheers.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have a Little Faith is available from Amazon.com in several formats, including Kindle, although the Kindle price higher than the paperback price. I haven't read it, but it looks like it might be good. Unfortunately, I have too many books in my library that I haven't read, and am having a harder time staying awake reading at night.

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

A book I am reading now is Quarterback Sneak. It is the true story of former OSU quarterback and gambling addict Art Schlister, and his mostly unwitting accomplice Anita Barney, widow of former Wendy's CEO Bob Barney. It is quite a good read, but it brings to mind the question..How could anyone be so dumb? I guess people can talk themselves into anything, based on naivete, gullibility and good intentions (I guess I should know...hint, hint).I hope all the friends she "borrowed" from will be paid back. Her husband is no doubt turning over in his grave.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm an avid reader, but I'm having the same problem as you @Ken Anderson ...I always read at night in bed, but I'm finding now that I can't read for anywhere nearly as long as I once did..so a book that might have taken me a week to read will last me for a month..

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have quit reading in bed. I find I fall asleep too readily, so I sit up in my recliner and read and sip on whatever happens to be in my cup, the morning coffee, a cup of hot tea gone cold, or some juice. My concentration has to be primed once in a while or my mind tends to wonder. Most books I check out from our library I don't read. I can't always get into a book so i go to another and another until one sticks and i read it.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, that's a sad thing. I used to read in bed for hours before going to sleep. When I was younger, I had a hard time getting to sleep, to a point where it was a problem getting enough of it. Well, that has certainly reversed itself. Now I'm lucky if I can last five minutes.

K E Gordon and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. K E Gordon

Registered

I tend to watch Netflix at night...but I have found this book very gripping so I have been reading that instead. That reminds me, I better charge my kindle. It is out of battery. Besides the last update Amazon did messed up my ability to watch Netflix. I need to call them again and try to get that thing straightend out. It is aggravating. Anyway, I read for maybe half and hour to an hour at night, if I have a good book...otherwise..not much.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I am looking for a good read. The kind of book that you keep reading even though your eyes are telling you that you need some sleep. Thanks for the heads up for "Have a Little Faith".

9. K E Gordon

Registered

I have a feeling that Have a Little Faith, is one of the books that I might wait at the library for, for a long period of time. I should see if it is available from Hoopla or some kind of digital subscription. I waited for months for the book Killing Lincoln. I almost gave up on it. I am reading a James Patterson's Woman's Murder Club now. It is pretty good. I have a couple of other books going as well, that I read, when I am in the mood.