A Fig Tree Around The Corner

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Carlota Clemens, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought to have share with you in some other thread that I moved to a new place not long ago, and therefore until now I'm realizing about things in my surroundings that I didn't see before.

One or this is a fig tree that is planted in a nearby boulevard, which fruits are at hand of whoever is passing by.

A neighbor advised me to go and cut a branch to bring it home to grow my own fig tree, but know knowing anything about gardening, do you think I may succeed by doing this?

Or what other options I could try to make possible to grow a fig tree from this finding?

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I cannot say anything about planting a fig tree but I marvel at the line - fruits are at hand of whoever is passing by. What does it taste like? Pardon my ignorance but I only got to know a fig from my readings of the Bible. My husband said that figs have so many seeds inside that is it not advisable to eat if you have false dentures.

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have 3 fig trees. They are easy to grow from cuttings. Just stick them in a pot with good soil and keep them watered.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a little fig tree that I got from Lowes and I have it planted in a planter pot right now. What I read was that it had to be brought inside when it gets cold or it will freeze and die. I can do this as long as it stays small; but if it gets tall, then it would be hard to move it when the weather gets cold.
    Sheldon, what do you do with your fig trees, ? You are about straight west of me, and probably have a similar growing climate.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We mulch heavily with leaves for the winter, Some times they die back to the roots but they always regrow and after a few years they don't die back. We have two kinds; Celeste and Brown Turkey.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This one that I have is a celeste. How tall do they get before you actually have figs on the tree ?
    I will bring this one inside this winter since it is only 2-3' tall, and is already in a planter pot. Then, by next year, it might be okay to put it out in the spring and mulch it heavily in the fall like you have been doing with yours.
    My little plum trees started to leaf out this spring, and then the leaves all fell of and I think they died. I have been leaving them in the ground just in case they might revive; but it does not appear that they are going to .
    I have some plum pits that I saved to plant , but I put them somewhere (safe) and now can't find them again.
    Maybe, when Robin gets back home again, she will take me out after another start or two.

7. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry for the delay to reply but I've busy touring the fig tree, waiting anxiously to eat the first fig gotten from it. Figs are still green but showing some purple shades, sign that they are maturing now. Figs are sweet and tasty, but certainly the seeds might be a problem even for who simply has irregular teeth.

I have already the pot for my fig tree ready, but waiting for figs to mature. There is no branch that has not at least 3 or 4 figs in it!

By the last two posts on this thread, I'm just learning there are different types of figs. Didn't know this!

The fig tree I wan to plant will grow in a pot if if I'm lucky having green thumb, and will come from a very shorty tree that is just a bit taller than me, but one of my cherished memories involve a really tall fig tree my grandmother had planted in her garden, next to an orange tree that is still standing up in the family's house and a grenadine tree that made enjoyable my childhood days visiting and collecting their fruits.

That fig tree was truly tall, as even taller is another that still stand up across the street where that house is located, not suitable (nor possible) to be brought inside the house, but it's good to know the fact because the pot for my prospective fig tree will be placed next to the entrance door and exposed to cold in winter.