A Christian Scholar Talks About Dinosaurs And Creationism

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Duh ... Maybe Glen Rose dinosaurs? My BP is staying in the 85/63 range and my brain is useing that as an excuse not to function too swiftly. Seems to me that God/Creator and evolution go hand in hand somewhere along the way.

Duane Dutchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It did get a bit off topic for a spell and for that I give my humble appology for being a part of that tilt.

Now for the dinasaur topic at hand. Certainly there is evidence that provides some interesting cases in which scientists are somewhat confused to say the very least.
    Much of the earth has yet much to be revealed and new undersea discoveries are being produced every day, some of which is much to the dismay of those who proclaim that ALL dinasaurs died off some 35 million years ago.
    Carbon 13 and 14 have been found to be erroneous in some cases because of the examiners or even the technique in itself is the causation of an error in age.

Certainly, when observance is the major evidence toward verification then that evidence should be examined much further instead of disregarded as heresay.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would love to go to Glen Rose and see the footprints (dinosaur and human), too, @Ina I. Wonder . Maybe when Robin is not so busy with her job, and she can take a small vacation, she and I can go there and meet you and your grandson, Robert, and we can all explore the whole thing together?
    Robin always wanted to become an archeologist, and that is why she is always out looking for fossils.

If you get to go before then, be sure to take pictures, and then come back and tell us all about your trip !
    Here is the website where I found the dinosaur evidence video, and it is from the museum at Glen Rose.

http://creationevidence.org

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't feel as if I have to believe in a young earth in order to believe that the Bible is accurate, so this isn't a major issue for me. If the young earth theory were proven to be wrong to my satisfaction, that wouldn't shake my faith in the accuracy of the Bible. The fact that the sun and the moon weren't created until the fourth day of creation allows me to consider that perhaps we weren't talking about 24-hour days. Plus, it seems clear that time means something entirely different to God than to the rest of us. So while I do not believe that the young earth theory has been disproven, given the huge discrepancies of carbon dating, if it were to be proven, that wouldn't change anything significantly for me.

5. Duane Dutchell

Duane Dutchell New Member
    Registered

The science behind carbon dating is based on an arbitrary premise. It might be useful in comparing one object to another but it has little validity as far as determining the age of something. Unless you insist that evolution is the answer to the beginnings of everything, I don't see a lot of incompatibility with evolution theory and Bible fact, though.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Duane Dutchell

Duane Dutchell New Member
    Registered

2 Peter 3:8 says, "With the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Cyprian took this literally when he determined that, "The first seven days in the divine arrangement contain seven thousand years." However the number, 1,000, was often used in the Bible to signify a very large number, and not specifically one thousand.

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

An excellent point @Ken Anderson. If a person's point of view regarding faith changes because of any minor or even substantial find in the form of an evolutionary process or even the discovery of a living and breathing dinasaur then that persons focus might be skewed.

I think that if a person asks themselves, "can anything new diminish my faith in God?" If that answer is no then the subject is just so much information aquired. That said, if I ask myself if my faith can be amplified, the answer is always yes and on a daily basis.

Many arguments of faith have been solved by 2 people understanding that if the debate does not amplify one's faith then the argument is not worth an argument.................

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Debate, arguments, and discussions have only served to increase my faith for sure. :)

9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Ken Anderson

Registered

No one is required to use their own picture on their avatar here, just as they are not required to use their own name. I am unable to connect to the news link, so I can only guess from the headline that is in the URL, but if he chose a photo from a newspaper, that's fine with me. If the man who really owns that face complains, I'll have him change it. Otherwise, the topic of this thread is dinosaurs and creationism.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

th (68).jpg Okay let's talk about Dinosaurs then. I do believe God created them. Even as a child I was fasinated when on school field trips we would go to Museums where the skeletons of Dinosaurs were put together so we could tell what they looked like and how huge some of them were. If they still exist today it would have to be somewhere really isolated it seems...or otherwise someone would see them and if nothing else take a picture with their cell phones and probably share it on Facebook with everyone. :) The question I ask about Dinosaurs is for what purpose did God create them. Most animals, etc. we can understand where they fit in the scheme of things...it's hard for me to imagine where Dinosaurs fit in. Except when I think of The Flintstones cartoon I used to watch. @Yvonne Smith thank you for starting this tread...Dinosaurs are fasinating and I wouldn't mind going to that place in Texas where the fossils are and seeing them for myself too. th (68).jpg

14. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

May I say something here? I debated, but I'm going to say it anyhow. I'd generally agree that not using one's own photo is fine, but... well, this is someone who threatened to kill our president, and.... I sure wouldn't be comfortable what that could cause for the forum. Just my two cents, but this is the picture of someone who had a terroristic message and threatened national security. Thank you for pointing it out, @Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Registered

Good question. I used to think that God created dinosaurs so that we could have oil and gasoline, but science no longer believes that oil came from dinosaurs. Perhaps they served some other useful purpose during the forming of the planet.

16. Ken Anderson

Registered

I'm beginning to think that the real objective of some of the people here is to disrupt every single thread with off-topic and irrelevant information, intended only to spread discord. The topic of this thread has to do with dinosaurs and creation, not which photo someone used for their avatar. This is not the first time I have mentioned this here.

I would be more concerned about the fact that some people feel they need to investigate everyone who participates in this forum to begin with. I am the administrator, and I don't do that. I don't care if don't use your real name or photo, and I can't imagine why it's an issue with anyone else.

I have access to additional information that I could use as a starting point, such as your email addresses and IP numbers, yet I have never once felt the need to try to figure out who anyone is. I don't try to investigate those who participate in this forum.

If I accidentally came across information suggesting that someone here is someone other than who they claimed to be when they created an account, I certainly wouldn't feel the need to disclose it, and I can't imagine the situation that would lead me to come across that information to begin with. For the purpose of this forum, you are who you say you are, and your participation is welcome, but it's even more welcome if you can stay on topic.

17. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Oil and gasoline from Dinosaurs? Are you talking about from their bodies Ken...kind of like "whale oil?" that the Eskimos and others used for things? I'm positive they had a purpose just like all Creation has a purpose...even when we don't understand what that purpose is. Scientists actually used to think oil came from Dinosaurs? How?

18. Yvonne Smith

Registered

One of the things that most interests me is all of the pictures of dinosaur-looking creatures that were drawn by older civilizations. Most of us have heard about dinosaurs and seen pictures of them since we were kids; but people before the 1900's probably didn't have that kind of knowledge. So pictures that come from several hundred years ago, and particularly the ones that show men fighting these creatures, definitely seems like they had to have seen these creatures in order to draw one so close to what we have reconstructed that they look like.
    When something like this is discovered, then it seems like there are always fake sightings, like some of the ones for Loch Ness and even the Sasquatch.
    But when you consider how much of the earth is uninhabited, and some of it has never been seen by mankind, then it is entirely possible for some remnant of these creatures to exist even today. If they do exist still, then that pretty much puts an end to the idea that they were wiped out millions of years ago.
    Here is another really interesting video that explores the possibility of dinosaurs still alive today.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  19. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yes, they did. Here's an article that discusses it.

sinclairlogo.jpg

Babs Hunt likes this.
  20. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe if some forms of Dinosaurs still exist..they would most likely be the ones who lived in the seas and would still be found there.

21. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

What I can't figure out and maybe it's just me but why does one have to exclude other. I am one of those rare individuals I guess who believes there is a God but also believes in the theory of evolution. After all it's kind of hard for me to swallow that all the population of the earth came from one man and one woman. Yes, maybe the garden of Eden story happened I won't dispute it. But what if God thought this wasn't enough to populate the earth and that more human being were needed. So he took one of the animals populating the earth most like humans the primate and allowed it to start to evolve into human form. Funny how some feel this happened but it didn't happen clear across the board if it is true, because there are still primates on the earth right? So, why did evolution start and why did it stop. I guess I am just someone who is of a believer that evolution did happen only God played a part in it. That is just my theory on this long reaching subject.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  22. Denise Happyfeet

Denise Happyfeet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well said Ken;) I look more at what people post/reply than their "fakenames/or not" and photos. I think those that come to cause discord are trolls, isn't that the term across the www.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  23. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't think it's right to say that evolution has stopped. Animals and humans are still in the process. Look, for example, at species that live in isolation or those that have adapted to urban environments. They continue to evolve. Humans have not stopped, either. There is a great deal of evidence that shows humans developing differently in different parts of the world, particularly where they have developed immunity to certain diseases. This has involved considerable genetic modification.

24. Yvonne Smith

Registered

This is a good question, @Hannah Davis , and probably one that almost everyone has a different idea about.
    For thousands of years, this was never even in question.
    All races of people everywhere had legends of creation done by some kind of a god. No one even considered that humans and apes might be related.
    Then, Darwin came along with his theory that all life on earth was not created by god; but instead it evolved. Even so, that theory was not widely accepted, but since it has now been promoted by teaching it in schools, people who believe in God have been trying to reconcile the two thoughts. The proposed answers run the whole gamut from believing in evolution only, to believing in creation only.
    I think that our generation is maybe the first generation that started to accept the idea of evolution, and question what we were taught from the Bible, or try to make it all fit together somehow.
    Even Bobby and I have totally different ideas about this topic.
    He believes in evolution, but that it was done by God.
    I am a young-earth creationist, and don't believe in evolution that changes species.
    We actually have more DNA that is like a pig than we do that is like a monkey, which is why some transplants can use organs from pigs; but no one thinks we came from pigs and not monkeys, even though it makes the same amount of sense.

25. Ken Anderson

Registered

Could it be that, insofar as the Bible is a history, it is a history of the Hebrew people? That would solve the problem of where Cain found a wife. Not that there aren't other reasonable answers for that. Anyhow, I don't see dinosaurs as being contradictory to the Bible.