A Change of Career

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Ruth Belena, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Some people stay in the same profession or line of work throughout their career, while others decide to make a change and go off in a different career direction.

I've had 3 different careers since I first started work.

My first career lasted 13 years and started when I went to work in a life insurance office. I had 3 more office jobs after that.

My second career also lasted 13 years. It began when I took a part-time job in a book store owned by a big publishing company. I was promoted to full-time manager and ran their store for 7 years. Then I was employed by an independent book company with a small chain of retail outlets.

My third career began when I decided to become self-employed and set up my own small press publishing business. That came to an end with the rapid growth of home computers, so I found other things to do online and began working on websites and blogs. Over the past few years my work as a content writer has turned into a full-time occupation.

I don't expect to have another career change.

Have you ever wanted to change careers, and has your working life involved a lot of change?

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've have changes in my working career as well. I graduated Office Information Systems formerly known as an Executive Secretary Degree.. I was working as a receptionist with the hopes of becoming an administrative assistant but that didn't happen. I left there to venture out on my own while do temporary assignments through an agency. I loved that. It opened up a whole new world to me. I started my own word processing business, became a notary public and continued to temp. I was on assignment at one of the local hospitals to do billing for the counseling center and after a while (9 months) was told to apply for the position by the Office Manager. I did and got the job. I was there for 14 years before transferring to another position in medical billing for the hospital's family practice center. I was offered the position and was there for 4 years.

I've seen a lot of changes take place along the way. I still have a very strong interest in the healthcare field but more of a desire to pursue health insurance processing insurance claims. I'm working on it now.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

You have had an interesting career. It is interesting how we can start out doing one thing then make a small adjustment to another position that will lead us to even another position as long as we stay open to change. In my career I had jobs made just for me to keep me working in that department.

Good job.