A Brief History Of The Kitchen

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Terry Page, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe everybody had one like that then, just different colors. :)

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page , you could have the best of both worlds. You can make your daughter happy by living there and helping her. Then all that you save financially you could travel on. Just explain to your daughter that you have two dreams for your future, and let her know you expect to be able to travel where and as often as you can afford. This way you don't feel obligated to give up either of your dreams. Sometimes you just need to state that you wish to stay as independent as possible for as long as you can.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder , I think she knows that. Except for cooking and watching the boys when they go somewhere overnight, there really isn't much else expected of me there. Plus Pickles considers them his second family anyway. It sure would make it easier for me to travel, now everywhere I go I first have to drop Pickles off at my daughter's. I wouldn't have utility bills, cable bills, security system bills, pest control bill, food bill. Bet I could save half my widows benefits each month and my standard of living would be much better, although it's not bad now thanks to my kids, but it would definitely be almost stress free. Only one negative in this whole scenario. My son in law isn't my favorite person. :)

Sorry for the slight hijack, Terry. :) I know you don't mind.

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page , After you see the world, and tire of the hassles of traveling overseas, you can then explore this country. If you ever want to see the Gulf of Mexico and Texas, you're more than welcome to stay in one of my three bedrooms. It most definitely would not be as posh as your use to, but you could see it as a cowboy experience. You know, the rustic atmosphere. I could to a bit of a guide for you, and you could use my car to explore on your own. And I bet there are many out there that would extend such invatations as well. That way you would not have to do everything alone.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Ina and don't put your lovely home down. I have been in many homes of varying levels of comfort, and yours looks quite comfy and inviting. I am going to do this, I've made up my mind. I can't go on in Fresno much longer. :(

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My Mother's: I still have, and use, it! Likely 1950s.

[​IMG]

Hand-painted in my Grandma's kitchen. Some took 8 hours each!
    [​IMG]

Kitchen table-game, solved by our friend while in the hospital. Jump pegs, removing the one jumped over, and wind up with one left, in the center!
    [​IMG]

Chrissy Cross and Terry Page like this.
  7. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we had a hand mixer like that throughout my childhood, I have a small electric version now.

I remember my grandmother used this type of meat mincer regularly, I think Lisa may have one in a cupboard somewhere.

[​IMG]

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, my grandmother had that meat grinder, so did my mom. I may even have had one.

My grandmother and also my mom had a nut grinder.

Ruby Begonia and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I still have my Mother's, and use it occasionally. It's a Universal brand. Now and then, one will show up in an antique store. Before I got the bright idea of using the blender to crush up fruit for wine-making, I used the meat grinder. Much slower, and messier, but effective, it was.

Talkin' about food, T-V ads, no wonder I'm headin' for obesity! Some good calves' liver ground up with the meat grinder, an egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Liver Dumplings Yum!

Chrissy Cross likes this.