A Big Czech Kolach!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, May 16, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This evening, I finally decided it was time to try to duplicate the feat of my Grandma, my Dad's Mom, of making magnificent big Kolachi using ingredients at hand. Her specialty seemed to be Grape: you had to carefully separate out the "petzky" (seeds) as you ate it. Second best was Plum: absolutely delicious, both always coated with just the right amount of Streusel, of a type the composition of which I am afraid died with her, sadly.

I had a can of Wally-World house brand cherry pie filling, no added sugar, it's stats looked pretty good. Made up my usual raised dough. Believe she used a cake pan, so I did, the dough fit OK. During baking, two spots ran over, my Grandma's never did. In retrospect, her filling likely was 1/2 the amount of the can size I used; should have made two, but feared failure of one, two would be unbearable! It came out ugly compared to real Bohemian kolach, but the tiny wedge I cut out was tasty enough! The streusel? Ugh. Crispy, crunchy, not smooth like Grandma's. Suspecting Cream Cheese being the absent secret ingredient, I asked my wife, a Hoosier cook used to preparing "feesh", car has a bad "transmeeshun", one "weesh" is all you get, she said, "Uh, uh. No cream cheese". Anybody have an idea? My streusel was powdered sugar, flour, and margarine.
    Frank.

Oh, yeah, here's how it looks:
    [​IMG]

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope, I think that that is a pretty specific ethnic thing. I wouldn't have any suggestions. However, what you made looks good though. I think it will be delicious. Maybe if you go online and google it though, you might find some help. It is surprising what is on there. You might find an expert opinion or two. I wish you luck it looks smashing.