9-11 -- Where I Was

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Mari North, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was at home, here in Millinocket, watching "Little House on the Prairie" reruns on a channel that didn't break in for news stories. My daughter, who was alive then and in the Army, called and told me about it. The first tower had already been hit, but the second one hadn't.

When JFK was killed, I was in seventh grade, I think, or maybe eighth grade. The principal interrupted the class to call our teacher out into the hallway. They both came back in to announce that the president had been shot, and that school was being let out early. I can remember being happy because, while the president didn't mean any more to me than anyone else I might see on television, going home early was always nice.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Karen McKenzie and Ruby Begonia like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

On 9/11 I was seated at my desk in the Lawyer's Office that I worked as a Secretary/Paralegal in training for. My Boss came in from her Office where she had been listening to the radio while going over briefs. She told me about the Tower being hit and we both were in disbelief. I told her I had a small TV I could go get from my home which was just a few miles away so we could see what was going on. I was back with that TV in no time and most of the day we watched all that was going down with shock and disbelief! September 11th is also my oldest daughter's Birthday and we had planned a Party for her....but she was so upset with what had happened that she didn't want to celebrate her birthday at all so we canceled her party that year.

When JFK was assasinated I was in Junior High at West Junior High School in Waco, Texas. I remember all of us girls crying and school being dismissed early. My heart felt so sad for Mrs. Kennedy and the children and I couldn't believe someone could shoot the President of the United States right in front of our eyes!

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember it so clearly when 9/11 happened. We had just gotten up and we watch the news when we wake up while getting breakfast on the table. It was so mind blowing at first when I saw it on television just waking up for the day and you can hear the newscaster say this is live and see the plane crash into the building! I stood there transfixed as if glued to the floor eyes not blinking for fear of missing something. It was so sudden that all I could do was just watch numb to the whole thing until the news comes on saying about the tragic incident. I'll never forget it and I was in school when JFK was assassinated, I should say elementary school. You just remember where you were and what you felt like for the longest of times when it happened.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  4. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I was working and saw the headlines on my computer and then turned on the news and saw it happen. It was just surreal. The mood of the country was ultra patriotic and flags sold like hot cakes. I remember everyone on the block flew the flag..now I'm the only one. I understand why they did, though, and that was a show of solidarity. It felt good during those dark days.

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.