6 Aug 1945

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Gary Ridenour, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

the first atomic device flattens Hiroshima on this date

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We were taught in school that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were flattened by the Atomic Bomb. From what I remember, there were no survivors, according to our teacher hence the impression of the students was that those 2 places are literally flattened as if a gigantic bulldozer had done the job. But in my adult life, I got to know the real score that most of the survivors were suffering from serious ailments like cancer and skin diseases. Hibakusha are what the survivors are called.

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's what we used to do to those who attack us. Now our apologizer-in-chief bows to them and gives them money.

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  4. Gary Ridenour

Registered

A hibakusha, a survivor of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki, tells young people about his experience and shows pictures. United Nations building in Vienna, during the NPT PrepCom 2007.
    [​IMG]

the Americans had no idea if this device would even work.

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have seen the Enola Gay at the Air and Space Museum in DC. Actually, I think it is exhibited now, at the adjunct museum which is located in Chantilly Virginia close to Dulles Airport. It is interesting to see that little non descript plane that had such an influence on history. I also was fortunate enough to see the site of the Arizona in Hawaii..that was impressive...and kind of unbelievable that oil is till coming up to the surface some 70+ years later.

6. Gary Ridenour

Registered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost forgot. the 2nd bomb was dropped on Nagasaki on August 9. on the 14th Japan announced terms for surrender. which was officially signed on the USS Missouri on Sep 2nd ending the most destructive in history. you'll note the 16" guns are pointed up. all 3 gun turrents were manned and ready to fire in the event dissidents ashore changed their minds.

Sheldon Scott likes this.