5 Things Warren Buffet Does After Work

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Diane Lane, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Joe Riley and Linda Binning like this.
  2. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Jon Bon Jovi. Thanks for posting this and I'll watch it in a minute.

I just watched it and enjoyed it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it would be a bit different and lighten things up. I enjoyed the performance, and especially the idea that people were thinking of and working towards helping others :).

Linda Binning likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire yesterday and one of the questions was what did Warren Buffet do every day that he recommends we all do. And the answer was...read.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for the video and duet, @Diane Lane ! Here is Warren singing about trains.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

It is interesting to know other sides of Warren aside from his amazing aptitude for money and business in the stock market.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Investor Warren Buffett regularly plays the ukulele and online bridge to keep his mind sharp.

"The oracle of Omaha is a man of many talents. Buffett's been playing the ukulele for decades, but he also told CNN Money that he plays online bridge most Mondays with three other partners, sometimes including Bill Gates.
    [​IMG]
    In a report titled "Why Warren Buffett Plays Bridge," economist John P. Hussman reasoned that Buffett's love of the game could be because it places emphasis on "playing a hand right rather than on playing it successfully":

"It seems to me (and it has certainly been my experience) that it takes an enormous amount of restraint to focus on playing every investment hand 'right,' according to an established discipline, allowing the law of averages to work in your favor, rather than trying to win every hand. I would guess that this is exactly what appeals to Warren Buffett's temperament. Over the long-term, good investing requires it."

8. Diane Lane

Registered

I think it's easy for successful people to become burned out if they work their business 24/7 and don't balance that out with other unrelated things. We have a businessman here in the Houston area who has built a family business that at least two of his children work in, and I've seen it grow just from the time I've lived here. It's interesting to see how much more polished the commercials have become over the years, but he also has a very balanced life, and does a lot for charity.

He has teamed up with George W. Bush on some philanthropic projects, and he also does some fun things with his business such as large scale stating if you purchase so much of the product by such and such a date, and a specific political party wins the election, or a certain team wins the superbowl, you'll be refunded all of your purchase money. Naturally, that's a good enticement for those looking to purchase anyway, and can encourage people to spend more, because of the possibility of getting their money back, but it's also something fun that makes the news and is popular on social media, so it helps advertise the family business and secure a future for his children and grandchildren.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

It is nice to know that even rich money makers enjoy doing things other than making money. And I believe that playing any instrument, whether it be the ukulele to the clarinet, is good for the brain. In fact, play an instrument and knowing a second language prior to a stroke event assists the patient in rewiring his/her brain quicker thus a faster recovery.