3Doodler

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Okay, this is some crazy stuff here. This is the video they made when they were looking for Kickstarter funding, but it is available for sale.

I thought it was too strange to be true, but it's available on Amazon.com.

Here's another video on it.

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I had heard the ability to draw something in 3D. It looks like string art in away. Interesting, I can see using this to create a couple of things like jewelry.

3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

It looks like there are some great creative possibilities to come from this technology, though the strands of plastic look a bit flimsy for my liking. I'd love to experiment with it, but a quick Google search showed that it's horribly overpriced in South Africa.

4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

What a time to be alive! I can already see my grandkids playing with those instead of coloring with normal pencils.

5. Michelle Stevens

Registered

That's not really the intention. According to the Amazon page linked above, it's intended for age 14 and up. It works with electricity and heat, so it wouldn't be safe for small kids.

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh! Well, I'm definitely sure that as time will pass they will adapt this kind of technology for children. Or, maybe I'm just talking nonsense.

7. Michelle Stevens

Registered

It would be great if they could come up with something that is safe for children to use. I'm sure they'd enjoy it.

8. Michelle Stevens

Registered

Just a quick update. I was at a hobby fair a couple of days ago and one of the stands was selling the 3Doodler. I didn't try it out but a friend did and he wasn't too impressed by it. The strands of plastic came out even flimsier than I expected and collapsed as soon as they came loose from the pen, unless he held the pen at the top of the strand he'd just drawn while he waited for the plastic to cool down and harden again.

There were a couple of examples of objects created with it that looked quite nice, but they were 2 dimensional faces done in a similar manner to the 3Doodler logo at the beginning of the first video. That's probably all it's really good for.