3 Cops Killed In Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Gary Ridenour, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page " Yay, I finally agree with you "

Part of the plan, Chrissy.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are about 32,000 gun deaths per year in the United States. Nearly 60% of those are suicides. About 3% are accidental deaths, and the remaining 34% are homicides or intentional shootings. People shot by police are included in this number.

According to FBI statistics, nearly four in ten homicides are classified as being committed for unknown reasons, while arguments are the top cause of known homicides. In Chicago, which nearly always tops the homicide lists, approximately 80% of homicides are recorded as being gang related. The same is true of Baltimore, which is currently leading in 2016.

Would national gun control solve the problem of gang violence when such measures have clearly failed in Chicago and Baltimore? I will suggest that they aren’t even intended to, as proposed gun laws always target a segment of the population that is the most law abiding.

Approximately one-half of the households in the United States have at least one gun. In fact, the number of guns roughly equals the number of people in the country. Given these facts, it is only common sense that the U.S. would have more gun murders than countries that ban guns. After all, Florida has more swimming pool deaths than Michigan, and more people die on expressways in New Jersey than in South Dakota.

Unlike swimming pools, however, guns can be used for self defense and, although the media generally buries such stories, guns are often used to prevent deaths. Since these deaths don’t occur, there are no statistics for them, but there are plenty of people alive today who wouldn’t be alive if only the bad guys had guns.

Suicide is often used as another reason to ban guns, the argument being that the presence of a gun makes suicides more likely on a momentary impulse. However, given that statistics are so often used by gun banners when they work in their favor, here’s one you won’t hear.

Japan has very few guns and very few gun-related deaths, a fact that is often cited by the gun banners. However, Japan’s suicide rate is more than twice that of the United States. Suicide rates in the United States are roughly the same as in Great Britain, Canada, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland, and well below that of France and Greenland. The only logical conclusion is that suicide rates have little or nothing to do with the availability of guns. Guns just happen to be the suicide method of choice in the United States, whereas the Japanese prefer to jump in front of a train or swallow poison.

Although the rate of mass shootings has jumped considerably during the Obama administration, they are still relatively rare. We hear about them every day in the United States because the media won’t shut up about them, and every mass shooting remains in the news until the next one comes along.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

Kansas City police surround home of Baton Rouge shooter

link

4. Ken Anderson

If Black Lives Matter were the Klan or a militia group, the feds would have rounded up everyone involved with the group and charged them with RICO violations. Under the Obama Administration, however, all black and Muslim groups are a protected class. BLM leaders are regular visitors in the White House. It makes me wonder if Obama isn't personally directing their activities.

From the news report that @Gary Ridenour just posted:

"A Grandview High School classmate tells KCTV5 that Long converted to Islam three years ago."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Diane Lane and Martin Alonzo like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I know all the gun statistics, Ken. I am pro gun but I'm seeing a different trend lately that I don't feel comfortable with...that's all.

I don't think I'll ever convey my fears to you in a way that you would understand, so let's just drop it.

My fingers are starting to hurt, I don't put in writing what my brain is thinking in the best way so it's all pointless.

If only you could read my mind. :)

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

At one time they would tell you that this killer or that mass murder was in doctors’ care and was on some type of medication. Now they don’t talk about that they call the black, Muslim or some other type and they leave their mental health out of it. I think most all these guys where on some type of medication but now they seal their medical records so we don’t know. Before they address guns they should address mental health. If someone is crazy he does not need a gun he will use a bomb, truck, fire, aeroplane or anything to kill a lot of people.

7. Ken Anderson

According to the shooter’s YouTube account, he was a former member of the Nation of Islam, having converted to Islam about three years ago. He complained about “crackers” and made references to Alton Sterling, the black man who was killed by police in Baton Rouge on July 5th.

He makes references to a book that he supposedly wrote about black liberation ideology. “I wrote it for my dark-skinned brothers,” he said.

He spoke disparagingly about protests, calling protesting “emotional” and “for the women.”

In one of his more recent videos, he said, “I thought my own thoughts. I made my own decisions. I’m the one who’s got to listen to the judgement. That’s it. And my heart is pure. If anything happens with me, because I’m an alpha male, I stand up, I stand firm, I stand for mine, until the end. Yeah, I also was a Nation of Islam member. Don’t affiliate me with it. Don’t affiliate me with anything.”

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been reading this thread and trying to restrain myself from commenting. However, it seems that label or labeling is the name of the game. It's really sad to think that the modern society has the penchant to be divisive by categorizing people. As what my husband would say, the normal people like us are the only ones with no label. Look at the abnormal, they have their rights. My husband may mean something else but just the same, it is the label that matters.

The shooting in Dallas and now in Baton Rouge are all connected to labels. Sorry if I don't want to mention color because to me, color doesn't matter. People have their own idiosyncrasy no matter the color of their skin. What matters to me is the crime per se and not the criminal.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I read some of his social media Ramblings this morning also and a lot of things he's said sounds like he was into conspiracy theories.

Said something about mind control and body control. Unfortunately even though I love the internet and social media it just exasperates all our problems.

People start believing different things that any yahoo posts on twitter or Facebook or YouTube. And people believe
    It because it's a video on YouTube.

Wonder how many believed his video? Plenty I bet.

We have become our own enemy. I read the views on here, on other forums, on Facebook, on twitter and they are all different. And all are hateful and incendiary.

I really don't see any hope anymore for the US. It doesnt matter one iota who becomes President, we will just drift further apart.
    It's really not who is coming into our country, it's the people already here. Trumps wall won't do a thing. Mexicans
    Really aren't the problem just a money drain.

This guy killed 3 cops and injured 3, all by himself and you think you have a chance with your little concealed weapon?

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Gee, all of these "Big City" problems that Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and parts of Colorado don't have. There are people in those Rocky Mountain and Black Hills states that openly carry a loaded rifle or two on a gun rack in trucks without any problems. Kids in those states are taught how to use a rifle and/or handgun at early ages.....with no problems. Families there have their firearms in a locked gun case and some even have trigger locks on their firearms.
    I know how things are up there, because I've been thru the Rocky Mountain and Black Hills states. People up there don't want anything to do with those "big cities" south or southeast of them.
    Can't really blame them!!

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Don't forget Columbine in Colorado.

I've worked elections in most of those states in the North a few years ago and of course you won't have problems when you can drive 300 miles and not even see a gas station.

12. Ken Anderson

From the media reports alone, you'd never know. Listening to the radio news, they commented several times that the shooter was a former Marine, that he was from Kansas City, and that he was a part of a separatist, anti-government group. They never mentioned that he was black, that he had converted to Islam three years before, or that the anti-government group was the Nation of Islam, yet these facts were surely more pertinent to the event than that he was a former Marine or that he was from Kansas City. Had he been white, or if the anti-government separatist group had been the American Nazi Party, the Klan, or a milia group, we'd hear nothing else for days on end. Think of it. A white kid shot a bunch of people in a church. Because his victims were black and they were able to find a picture of him with a Confederate flag, the Confederate flag was banned from just about everything, Confederate memorials and monuments were removed, and the graves of Confederate dead were even dug up from some cemeteries, and that's all we heard about for months.

Corie Henson and Diane Lane like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I knew he was black from the news reports yesterday, an officer he shot was also black.

He was very active with social media. Facebook, twitter, YouTube and who knows what else on the dark web.

After he's shot, all they will know is he was black...the other info comes later like his Islam ties, etc.
    And it's all there now.

The first reports out will be the basics and probably found on a drivers license. Other things take time finding, especially since he used another name.

It only happened yesterday, how can you expect to have all the info. They worked pretty fast since today, it's all there.

14. Ken Anderson

No, but then I wouldn't have been threatened by him. He was shooting at police, who were armed, and he was doing it from a distance. Do you think a law against guns would have prevented it?

Had someone in the black church in Charleston been armed, and knew how to use his weapon, one bullet could have stopped that kid. If the kid had reason to suspect that anyone in the church would be armed, he probably wouldn't have even gone there. The same is true of several of the mass shootings that we've heard of lately.

Of course, a concealed weapon isn't going to keep you safe from all possibility of harm but it does give you a chance, which is more than the gun banners want anyone to have.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The majority of people of various races and religions here in the U.S. get along just fine. The problem is when people want not equal treatment, but special treatment. I am tired of hearing about the KKK and how bad they are, yet those same people seem to support Black Lives Matter. The group they support is doing the same types of activities (or worse) than the group they oppose, but when it supports their agenda, they're o.k. with those activities. When is the last time the KKK actually lynched someone? I don't support either group, and I also don't support dividing people by color, with special organizations for one or more groups being touted as progress, yet others being put down. If one group can have special groups to promote their cause, everyone should have the same opportunity, without being called racists. Why did the Black Student Association at Texas Tech University feel it would be o.k. to state that White lives don't matter, Blue lives don't matter, but that Black Lives Matter? I'm tired of these people who know little of past events thinking that it's o.k. to smear others, while expecting to be treated with kid gloves.