2. Mucker

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Richard Paradon, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the more non-exotic jobs I had was as a "Mucker" at the Magma Copper Mines in Arizona. At the beginning of the shift we would get into a large open elevator (held about thirty people) and drop down one mile to the shaft. The ride took a few moments at best and took a bit of time before your stomach would catch up.

Once I got there I'd see my boss and he'd tell me to where to go. A mucker's job is to help shovel out the small rocks and stones that came about after the miners did their blasting and to help move timber around.

Usually, I would just be left alone until the end of the shift, not because I was not needed, but because I learned early that if I wandered off to a dead end drift and turned my helmet lantern off, nobody could find me. In those days I did not have the greatest work ethics. But when I did get caught I'd exhaust every bone in my body.
    I only lasted about a month or so before I quit. The job paid well, but it was about an hours drive home to Phoenix.