1950s Sears Gun Ad

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How would this go over today?

50s-sears.jpg

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm guessing not well at all, lol.

The family that shoots together...stays together :)

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The liberals would have a hissy fit.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Back then, many people hunted, and they had guns stashed in the bedroom closet, or maybe even in a gun cabinet. My folks both had hunting rifles, and my dad went deer hunting each fall.
    During the Great Depression, mom said that the game warden gave them extra rifle shells to go and hunt deer for some of the people who did not have enough food to eat. He knew that both mom and dad were excellent shots, and would not shoot unlesss they could bring the deer down, and there was a lot of deer in north Idaho to provide food for hungry families.
    When I was in Jr. High, I joined the local rifle range, and was taught to shoot a .22 rifle by trainers who had learned to shoot when they were in the military.
    We went every week, and progressed through the shooting stages from beginner to sharpshooter. Once we even went to a regional match , and that was a lot of fun, too.
    After I learned how to handle the rifle, my grandfather gave me his old .22 rifle for my birthday, and I had that rifle with me for most of my life. My son has it now, along with my folks other large hunting rifles.

Children were taught to respect guns, and from the time we were little, kids knew not to ever touch a gun, and to ALWAYS assume that any gun we saw was loaded. When my children were old enough to learn to shoot, I took them out and started them learning about guns , and teaching them to hit a target. It was part of their upbringing, just like teaching them how to drive a vehicle was.
    So, even though guns were everywhere, they were not misused like they are today, and there were very few shooting accidents.
    People didn't even have to wear bright orange vests to go hunting back then because people didn't shoot at something until they had a good look at it and knew what they were shooting at.

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I grew up with guns leaning against the wall just inside the front door. No one was afraid of needing them for self protection because we lived in a rural area where we were related to everyone. The guns were there in case there was a fox in the chicken coop or problems of that sort. I haven't kept up with it lately, but I can remember that when a school teacher raped and murdered a student ten or fifteen years ago, that was the first murder in Menominee County in more than fifty years, and that wasn't with a gun.

6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess I'm a product of a gun rich environment. My dad bought-sold-traded everything he could lay his hands on, including guns. I remember seeing wooden boxes of gun parts, under his workshop table. Later I would paw through them, marveling at the trigger mechanisms, locks, frames from shotguns, rifles and revolvers, cylinders and barrels. His closet held many long guns, containers of black gunpowder and loaded cartridges.
    One winter, before we had a TV, he wiled away his spare time building a muzzle loading percussion cap lock rifle from some of those parts and a nice hunk of cherry wood he got from who knows where. I remember him test firing it, then it disappeared like so many others.
    Strangely enough, I grew up without shooting anyone, so far.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

The Sears ad above is the equivalent of this television ad. Such ads were once common, and there were fewer kids shooting up schools then.

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered