188,000 Urged To Evacuate As Concerns Over California Dam Increase

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

UPDATE: 188,000 urged to evacuate as concerns over California dam increase
    [​IMG]

13 FEBRUARY, 2017

At least 188,000 people were under evacuation orders Monday as crews raced against time to keep an emergency spillway at the country’s tallest dam from failing and potentially unleashing uncontrolled flood waters on towns below. Lake Oroville, about 150 miles northeast of San Francisco, is one of the state’s largest man-made lakes. Sunday’s evacuation

order came after engineers discovered a hole that was eroding near the top of the 770-foot-tall Oroville Dam’s emergency spillway, sparking fears it could fail. Water levels at the dam were dropping on Monday. California Department of Water Resources officials say flows into the lake were just under 45,000 cubic feet per second. Outflows remained high at nearly 100,000 cubic feet per second. READ MORE

Is this the dam you're concerned about @Chrissy Page?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, thank goodness! I think that's about 3 hrs north of me...near Sacramento.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Huge Sinkhole Opens at Highest Dam in the U.S.
    [​IMG]

13 FEBRUARY, 2017

After a year of heavy rains, California’s Lake Oroville—home to the country’s tallest dam—has almost reached its maximum capacity, and its infrastructure is feeling the strain. That’s a complete reversal from the end of 2015, when persistent drought brought the lake’s water level to about 694 feet, or 33% of capacity—the second lowest level ever

recorded. By yesterday morning the lake was swollen with so much water, 895 feet, that it had reached 96% of its maximum capacity. The 770-foot-tall Oroville Dam creates the lake by impounding the Feather River, serving to generate hydroelectric power, supply water, and control flooding. READ MORE

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive just been talking to my daughter and I've decided to leave here Wednesday instead of Thursday when a week of rain will start!

I've never seen so much rain in this area.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That sounds like a very wise decision Chrissy.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, just got back from getting gas for my car and some last minute things I need. Gas was $3.05 at the chevron near my house...YIKES!

I also have to get a neighbor to bring in my garbage cans if I leave Wednesday morning.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Our noon day news was even showing the problems with that dam so it must be serious. I hope your rain scenerio doesn't turn into the flooding rain we had over here last August and I also hope your home is on high ground @Chrissy Cross.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, I'm in the valley....it's all flat around me...have. the sierra nevadas on one side....I hope my gutter holds while I'm gone...not the best time for me to be gone but that's the way it is.

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I've just seen that news story on our TV ...I think I'd be leaving ASAP if I lived in the area ...
    It looks like a very nice area ...it shows just how destructive the force of water can be
    Do you live near this dam Chrissy ?,sorry I just seen you live 3 hours from there ..

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's better for you to leave if there is any danger of your area flooding, then to be stuck in a flooded house and not know when someone will be able to get to you. My daughter never thought it could happen to them...but it did and it can happen to anyone especially with the crazy weather now days.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There's no danger of me flooding, I'm leaving because I have to watch my grandsons...parents are going out of town Thursday to Sunday.

I was going to leave Thursday morning since they're not flying out til after work but it's supposed to rain Thursday and there is always danger of flooded roads when it rains in this area...sewers can't keep up.

Babs Hunt likes this.